+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the novelty of owning our own club worn off

re: Has the novelty of owning our own club worn off

Agree with a lot of what has been said on this thread but RFPompey's post got me off the fence...this seasons football has been awful full stop...against Accrington there was a moment in the first half where it seemed the whole NSL were having a chat and not watching the game...unheard of in my experience of watching Pompey over 40 odd years. The atmosphere is completely flat and although I am lucky to have a ST I'm not sure at this stage whether I will renew next year of not. I cannot remember the football being this bad when I watched Pompey in the 4th Division all those years ago. For me it seemed a lot more exciting back then despite some awful performances? I didn't expect instant success and I fully appreciate the efforts of the Trust (and all those fans who went the extra mile) to save our beloved Club but we really do need a turn around on the pitch before the season ends or I predict some fans (including this one) may just find something else to do on a match day. One final th

I think to some extend it is harsh to blame the trust for anything happening on the pitch, a lot of people wanted Whittingham to stay on and to be honest at the back of last season he started to get results. Whilst people are rightly questioning Barker we still need time on that one but so far its not looking that great. All owners make mistakes with managers but they have certainly backed them in making money available for extra players.

Off the pitch they have done well and things have improved, I would however like to hear more from them on the plans of the stadium short term and long term

Just to add I would also say five years to the Championship is maybe a few seasons to early.

When the debts are cleared in 2016 we should start seeing more progress.

am I right in saying that we can't sign players for a fee until the debt is cleared? if you say that is 2016 we will have to spend a further 2 years signing out of contract or free's then the poor football won't be getting better any time soon. lets face it thats the problem with the current lot - no-one else wanted them.

The novelty hasn't worn off, neither must it be allowed to.

We see with the news of Birmingham's Yeung and today what we would probably face if this club ever fell into outsider hands again. We would at the very least face being a hostage to fortune, at worst a repeat of what has transpired since Deacon in '72.

We are trailblazers, pioneers for a club of this size. A lot of owners want to bail out, the FFP come into effect at the end of this season. Morally and practically there should be no alternative to our type of ownership.We must not allow this club to fall into the lap of chancers/crooks/spivs/scumbags.The Trust has made a better job of running this club in the last eleven months than all the present owners put together in the last forty plus years. This club will be what we make it.

This question [of the thread] is really a scapegoating and code for: 'Haven't we had a dreadful playing season?' Yes, we have. In hindsight it was inevitable. Trust ownership was achieved at alm

Some good points on this thread. One thing people do seem to easily overlook is just how quickly things can change on the playing front. Yes it is turgid now, and it could start in the same vein next season. But all it takes is a spark (a new player, fantastic performance etc.) and confidence can changed markedly for the better. A decent run of results is all it takes to be challenging again for promotion and for the feelgood factor to start coming back. Chin up! It could happen to us (next season...).

Good points Matt and I agree they have did great work whilst others sat, watched and complained.

My only concern is that we can't be run like a Government body and I see creeping signs that we are. It seems too many people are involved in the decision making.

Also we don't help ourselves - too many fans want to get involved in the minutiae of running the business when they don't have a clue. This won't do us well in the long term as people in the club are being 2nd and 3rd guessed in everything they do and they will eventually take lots of time via the committees that are there to avoid getting hammered each time they try and do something.

For example there was a debate on the new PST web-site where many offered negative views on the costs and rights or not of the decision making - it was laughable if not was a huge danger sign for 'community run' clubs where everyone seems to have a valid opinion even if they are a complete Dins (one Businessman of the year even berated Pompey whi

Not for me,

Sure I've come away from a Pompey game many times this season wondering why the hell I bother. But I've done that 100's of times before.

After a few hours and a few beers, countless discussions and criticism of the manager, players and officials, I'm starting to get the performance and result out of my system, and am looking forward to the next game, when things will surely get better!!

However, the feelings watching Chanrais and his cronies rip this club to pieces was far worse, and wasn't sorted by a few beers and a chat.

I believe that the current regime are doing things for the right reasons. They will get plenty wrong and no doubt make some big mistakes. Show me an owner from the past who hasn't. That's part and parcel of running a football club.

They should be criticised and questioned when they do make them, I'm sure they would expect no less. But I'm comfortable with things. Not the football at the moment, but that can and will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by rfpompey
    Also we don't help ourselves - too many fans want to get involved in the minutiae of running the business when they don't have a clue.
    Very true - there some deluded people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rfpompey
    (one Businessman of the year even berated Pompey whilst himself not knowing anything on the tender or what was required then suggested his wife could do it for free)
    Sounds like the same person who said his wife offered to design the PST website for free.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter62
    Sure I've come away from a Pompey game many times this season wondering why the hell I bother. But I've done that 100's of times before.
    Agree 100% - some people's expectations for this season have been OTT. Hopes are fine but expectations are something else.

[quote="scooter62"]However, the feelings watching Chanrais and his cronies rip this club to piec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)