+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

re: How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    So dont come out with some ridiculous statement about betting against the club you support, saying you can be happy when they win and you lose the bet. Unless you're the 5 quid guy, serious bettors don't ever use this stupid logic.

I am the 5 quid guy. I very rarely bet big. Most of my bets are two quid, fivers and tenners. I think the biggest bet I have ever had was 200 quid. Betting is a hobby to me, I don't rely on it for income at all. It's really just a bit of fun. Saying that, I still like to take a thoughtful approach to it. Value is the key. I don't always bet against Notts, I'll bet on whatever result offers I feel offers value or have no bet at all. If my bet ever became anywhere near as important as the result of the match I know it would be time to quit.[/quote]

Probably covered elsewhere higher up but if you are going to bet on anything, it should really be someth

So dont come out with some ridiculous statement about betting against the club you support, saying you can be happy when they win and you lose the bet. Unless you're the 5 quid guy, serious bettors don't ever use this stupid logic.

I am the 5 quid guy. I very rarely bet big. Most of my bets are two quid, fivers and tenners. I think the biggest bet I have ever had was 200 quid. Betting is a hobby to me, I don't rely on it for income at all. It's really just a bit of fun. Saying that, I still like to take a thoughtful approach to it. Value is the key. I don't always bet against Notts, I'll bet on whatever result offers I feel offers value or have no bet at all. If my bet ever became anywhere near as important as the result of the match I know it would be time to quit.[/quote]

Yeah I know about that kind of betting. I actually survived nearly 3 years on betting alone 2000 thru to

The WC or Euros is different as it's a festival of football and my life will be on it anyway, so serious betting won't be affecting other parts of life. But I doubt I'll go the same way and wager in the thousands, just the few hundreds.

Anyway I prefer the over/under total goal handicap and bets on teams to win/clear handicaps is much lesser.

Anyway nothing personal against you, sorry if I upset you, although I know someone who would have been elated at our 'spat' and hoped it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis
    Anyway nothing personal against you, sorry if I upset you.

You did, I was in floods of tears at your hurtful jibes. But I've got over it and now I'm looking forward to my biggest betting event of the year next week - the Cheltenham Festival.

It baffles me how some guys seem to think not placing a small bet against your team when your knowledge has indicated that you will lose somehow makes you more of a fan or something (don't get me wrong many rams fans that i know won't do that either). At the end of the day i put burnley on my accumulator as i thought they would beat derby and i was right.Newsflash!!!!sometimes your team loses. I bet on footy rather than throwing money away on the lotto and when i see a game like burnley v derby where i am confident of the result ill happily bet against my team. I'm not doing it as an insurance policy, im doing it because im smart and have the ability to process rational thought aside from my emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis

Probably the most ridiculous comment i have ever heard. How can you possibly place a bet and then want to lose the bet? If you place money on a outcome, then you logically want that outcome. EP you are so up your own **** with regards to feeling the need to constantly take the higher ground,and give the impression that you are superior.

I am afraid the possibility of gaining money, is a stronger emotion than winning a game, hense the reason gambling can be an addiction.
    Exactly, I'm not talking about placing 5 quid on a game or 5 quid on an exotic bet that pays out 100-1.

In the Asian market we play the handicap, it's a 1 on 1 thing. I have bet up to $10,000 local money here (which is around $7-8000 Euros.

Even the lowest bet is around $150 Euros.

It's 1 thing to place 5 quid on game and say it's okay I lost too bad, but when you bet heavily, the result matters above anything. Imagin

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds
    How can you possibly place a bet and then want to lose the bet?

Easily. It's really not a hard thing to do at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 45red
    I am afraid the possibility of gaining money, is a stronger emotion than winning a game.

Absolute rubbish. I can place a bet against Notts, then go to watch the game fervently hoping Notts win. I've been doing it for years. The thought of gaining a few quid will never, ever be more important than the result, it doesn't even get a second thought. It amazes me that some people can't grasp this.[/quote]

Your wasting your time Elite, some people don't understand the concept of betting.[/quote]

And some of us do and know it's a mugs game.
    Old habits, like mild, bingo, working mens clubs, whippets and grey hounds.
    Yes you

How on earth can you place a bet and then want it to lose, sorry mate but that is totally illogical and

Anyway nothing personal against you, sorry if I upset you.

You did, I was in floods of tears at your hurtful jibes. But I've got over it and now I'm looking forward to my biggest betting event of the year next week - the Cheltenham Festival.[/quote]

I've never bet on Cheltenham, I normally ignore the steeplechase although I find the Grand National absolutely fascinating and 1 of the best horse races in the world. It's a true spectacle (literally and figuratively). I managed to predict 3 winners over the years, although I did not place a bet. Some races you can just watch for the fun of it, the Grand National is one of those.

I'm more of a flat race guy, and will only bet on a classics or Intl Grp 1 races. Very rarely on a an ordinary or normal race.

Well done Rabbi (yes you are), you managed to resist the temptation to get involved on our board but not your own!

It's only "totally illogical and nonsensical" if you can't understand it. I make a bet on what I THINK will happen, not what I WANT to happen. Sometimes the two are contradictory, but as they have zero impact on what actually DOES happen, it isn't a problem. I've even placed a bet on the Tories winning the next General Election, and as Tricky will confirm that's something I don't want to happen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast