+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

re: How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

Quote Originally Posted by Bologna_reunited
    What on earth has that got to do with it. The base fact is that you are waging money on a bet you want to lose. How on earth is that logical?

Let me explain. It becomes logical when the emotional desire of what you WANT to happen outweighs the rationality of what you THINK will happen. For example, I might THINK Orient will beat Notts tomorrow, so I have a tenner on them at evens, even though I WANT Notts to win. The emotional desire of 3 points for Notts and the pleasure it will bring to my weekend would far, far outweigh the desire to make a profit of a tenner. The pleasure from that win wouldn't give me a tiny fraction of the pleasure a Notts win would give me. So I desperately hope the bet loses. What's illogical about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    What on earth has that got to do with it. The base fact is that you are waging money on a bet you want to lose. How on earth is that logical?

Let me explain. It becomes logical when the emotional desire of what you WANT to happen outweighs the rationality of what you THINK will happen. For example, I might THINK Orient will beat Notts tomorrow, so I have a tenner on them at evens, even though I WANT Notts to win. The emotional desire of 3 points for Notts and the pleasure it will bring to my weekend would far, far outweigh the desire to make a profit of a tenner. The pleasure from that win wouldn't give me a tiny fraction of the pleasure a Notts win would give me. So I desperately hope the bet loses. What's illogical about that?[/quote]

I fully get the bigger / lesser pleasure bit, but it is still illogical to spend time and money to cheer your own team on knowing you h

Quote Originally Posted by Bologna_reunited
    I fully get the bigger / lesser pleasure bit, but it is still illogical to spend time and money to cheer your own team on knowing you have put money on the opposition to win.
    It seems that way to you, it definitely isn't to me. I suppose you either understand it or you don't.

I don't know if football is clouding the issue, but I probably first realised this principle on March 16th 1989. I was at Cheltenham for the Gold Cup and wanted Desert Orchid to win. The ground came up really heavy and I didn't think he would stay 3 1/4 miles on it, so I had a tenner to win on something and two quid each way on Yahoo at 25/1. Coming to the last fence Dessie and Yahoo were locked together. Like nearly everyone else I went mental when Dessie stuck his grey head in front near the line. It was one of the most memorable sporting occasions I have ever witnessed, I still remember it like yesterday. That memory means far more to me tha

Hear what you're saying but just seems strange to me. I'll put my fixed odds at Ladbrokes today wouldn't bet against Forest even if the current injury ravaged team were away at Chelsea.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234