+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Black Wednesday'

'Black Wednesday'

Just picked up on 'LawSteelman's incredible posts on "Wee Rovers done well" topic.
    He obviously wasn't present at Hampden on Wednesday 31st March, 1976, Scottish Cup Semi-Final when Motherwell were 'comfortably' leading Rangers 2-0 halfway through the 2nd half, having just had a stonewall penalty turned down when John Greig almost 'halved Willie Pettigrew in two', when referee John R.P.Gordon of Newport on Tay invented a penalty for Rangers with 20 minutes to go and the rest is history i.e.2-3. This is the most corrupt match I have attended in nearly 60 years of following Motherwell FC.
    The aforementioned referee who has been a Rangers season ticketholder was later banned from refereeing for accepting gifts on trips to officiate in European competitions.
    If LawSteelman was too young or not even born at that time, I am amazed that no one has recounted the scandal to you. I've even ranted to Tommy McLean(in Rangers'team) about it and he couldn't reply but at least he made up for it bigt

re: 'Black Wednesday'

Oh gies peace.

Sometimes decisions go for you, sometimes they go against you, that's football. I'm not remotely interested in half baked conspiricy theories like this as they prove nothing and merely smack of a losers mentality and inability to accept defeat.

I wasn't at the game you mentioned but I've heard all about it and I've no reason to doubt that we were 'robbed' on that occasion, just like I think we were robbed of a legitimate second goal against Rangers at Fir Park in February 2010 when Ross Forbes was given offside when replays showed that he clearly wasn't. However despite the moronic howls of "Conspiricy" I do not believe or accept that for one minute. Officials have a split second to make a decision and unfortunately they get it wrong all too often, especially up here in Scotland where the standard is shocking. However refereeing mistakes happen all over the world, hence the calls for video evidence and goal line technology etc.

So yes, I have no doubt that we

I remember this well.

It is only one of a large number of times in which things went the way of the bigot brothers. I am amazed that LSM still thinks that big teams don't influence decisions (Again not just "The Rangers").

While we are talking about black days, can you remember the day we were giving Rangers a right humping at Fir Park,when their fans decided to riot and changed the outcome of the game. The points were deducted from them, only to be restored on appeal with the backing of the other half on the bigot brothers support:/

[quote="LawSteelman"]Oh gies peace.

Sometimes decisions go for you, sometimes they go against you, that's football. I'm not remotely interested in half baked conspiricy theories like this as they prove nothing and merely smack of a losers mentality and inability to accept defeat.

I wasn't at the game you mentioned but I've heard all about it and I've no reason to doubt that we were 'robbed' on that occasion, just like I think we were robbed of a legitimate second goal against Rangers at Fir Park in February 2010 when Ross Forbes was given offside when replays showed that he clearly wasn't. However despite the moronic howls of "Conspiricy" I do not believe or accept that for one minute. Officials have a split second to make a decision and unfortunately they get it wrong all too often, especially up here in Scotland where the standard is shocking. However refereeing mistakes happen all over the world, hence the calls for video evidence and goal line

The case of Newco Rangers and their entry into the Scottish League I will give you, as it shouldn't have happened and yes that does support the view that the Old Firm, both of them are needed in the Scottish game, for commercial and financial circumstances, that is a view which I share myself as I am firmly of the belief that if there were no 'Old Firm' then Scottish Football would be finished. That's why I always did and still do argue against anyone who said that the two of them leaving to play elsewhere would be good for the game up here. It would not be, as the fact that we are struggling to get sponsorship even with Celtic there goes a long way to prove. Imagine if they weren't there either? There would be no sponsorship, no TV deals, nothing. All of that would equate to a financial disaster for the Scottish game. The Old Firm, like it or not are not just A selling point, they are THE selling point of Scottish Football and that is why in 2012, Rangers Newco were not forced to star

For someone who purports to be non-interested in the goings on at Greyskull, our Lawman fairly pounds the keyboard on every occasion a negative point's made about them. Arrive at your own conclusions on why that would be ...

like I said the game is bent from one end of the world to the other . its been fixed in the world cup Italy v korea is a good example yes and I was at that rangers game but what about that ref tiny cant remember his gave celtic a penalty agest albain rovers in the cup when the smellys were one nill down with five mins to go it was even in his book ps iam dyslexic so spare me slak on the spelling lol

Funfit - no need for apologies on the spelling front 'cos your points make fine reading all the time. More power to your elbow mate.
    I'm assuming you refer to Mr Tiny Wharton (the ref our media refer to as 'the best ever'). In reality, he couldn't move more than 20 yards in any direction beyond the centre circle; a bit like Davie Syme ...

[quote="LawSteelman"]The case of Newco Rangers and their entry into the Scottish League I will give you, as it shouldn't have happened and yes that does support the view that the Old Firm, both of them are needed in the Scottish game, for commercial and financial circumstances, that is a view which I share myself as I am firmly of the belief that if there were no 'Old Firm' then Scottish Football would be finished. That's why I always did and still do argue against anyone who said that the two of them leaving to play elsewhere would be good for the game up here. It would not be, as the fact that we are struggling to get sponsorship even with Celtic there goes a long way to prove. Imagine if they weren't there either? There would be no sponsorship, no TV deals, nothing. All of that would equate to a financial disaster for the Scottish game. The Old Firm, like it or not are not just A selling point, they are THE selling point of Scottish Football and that is w

I was at the league game as a very young boy when we were beating Gers 2-0 at half-time and their fans caused a pitch invasion. On the re start they beat us 2-3...ah the good old days of the seventies were you were just as likely to get a dart in the back of the head as someone ****ing on the back of you leg...now thats what you call nostalgia. Not sure of the exact year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)