+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joey Barton and Robbie Savage

Joey Barton and Robbie Savage

I had some time this morning, so I thought I would catch up on my recording of last weekends Rugby International between England and Wales.

During the first half the camera man focused on Barton and Savage sitting in the crowd.

During the half time break they did a pitch side interview with Sonia McCloclan. Barton admitted to playing some Rugby League at school but followed that statement by saying that no way would he take on these giants. Both Joey and Robbie couldn't believe the physicallity, fitness, pace, and disipline of the players.

Barton then went on to talk about the atmosphere in the crowd, commenting on the fact that spectators were sitting drinking pints. Also the fact that there was no swearing or offensive chants from the crowd.

They both looked very small compared to the Rugby players while they were stood on the side of the pitch.

It would be great if some of the overpaid Football players could take a lesson from their comments.

A good win for England as they bu

re: Joey Barton and Robbie Savage

A few years after I moved out here the English Rugby team came out to play in a promotional tournament. As part of a publicity thing they trained with the Dallas Cowboys for a day under their legendary coach Tom Landry.

At the end of the session the TV reporter asked him what he thought of the team. He answered that he was extremely impressed with their speed, athleticism, aggression and ball handling skills and if the NFL ever opened a league for midgets they would win it hands down! X-D

Woodlands, a few years ago they might have been midgets, but since the game went professional and the players went full time they are huge. George North the Welsh winger is 6ft 5in weighs about 18 stone and can run a hundred metres in around 10.9.

He is only one example of the modern player. Unlike the NFL the players wear little protective gear.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom
    Woodlands, a few years ago they might have been midgets, but since the game went professional and the players went full time they are huge. George North the Welsh winger is 6ft 5in weighs about 18 stone and can run a hundred metres in around 10.9.

He is only one example of the modern player. Unlike the NFL the players wear little protective gear.
    Oh yes mate, they are catching up I know.

When that particular tournament was on there was an advert, for Guinness maybe, it showed an NFL player getting ready to go, all the padding and devices going on in layers etc and then it panned to a grinning idiot in a pair of shorts and the punchline was " and the Rugby player gets a ...shirt"!

Which is then promptly thrown at him.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom

That's a big Like it There Abbo the modern game of Rugby Union and its players are lightyears away from what the game was even 10 years ago!

Not always for the better as many more fairly serious injuries and I cannot for the life of me understand the fact that the put in at the scrums is allowed to go towards the team awarded the putin. It almost does away with the need for an opposing hooker as he has no little chance,hence too many crumbling scrums.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)