+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tactics and a few observations.

Tactics and a few observations.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if you guys have been seeing the same as me. Not everything in this thread may be correct as i'm at work and haven't got times to search up all the FACTS.

1st of all is the mention of a few weeks back when Steve mentioned we needed to sure up at the back. I'm sure ever since then we haven't really looked our selfs fair enough were conceding less which is fine but i think the best form of our defense is actually playing attacking football.

I have to mention i don't think our full backs have had that much of a impact the last few games then they did before. Also i have seen not many people in the box when were attacking so we HAVE to stay on the flanks... when ever i'm feeling they should cross it i only ever see Martin in there (Sometimes hes forced to the flanks also)

This is becoming a problem imo i remember when Bryson used to at least make runs or be in there also i don't see the wingers in there also. We need to put more men in the box as when we

re: Tactics and a few observations.

1. Bryson keeps making runs in behind and nobody's finding him. LOOK FOR HIM!
    2. When possession is lost the focus is on getting back into position/shape. We'd be that bit more attacking if the focus was on winning the ball back.
    3. When we play a goal kick short we don't know what to do with it. We have one centre half on one side of the 12 yard box and the other on the other side. It clearly doesn't work. Why not just copy Barcelona's goal kick? One full back pushes up, the two centre halves and remaining full back form a back three giving the keeper a number of options.

Minor annoyances.

It does seem odd that we spend time working the ball out wide and deep and then only have one target in the box for most crosses.

Vs Bolton we had countless crosses and low passes into the box, and apart from Martin's first half scuffed effort from the edge of the box, I can't remember one good chance being created.

We either need to mix our approach up more, or have 2 strikers in the box, one of whom can play the 'fox in the box' role i.e Russell or Bamford

That's the problem i see as well. The funny thing is i think Mclaren realises it as well. That's why he sticks 2 strikers on near the end as we get the balls in (All be it being really bad crosses) but only Martins there.

We need to risk a bit more and fill the box a bit more we had that problem under Clough i thought when Mclaren came we had plenty in there and i think that's why we scored so many!

Now it's just play it to the wings and hope we beat the 1st man and if we do only Martins in there kind of depressing if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Toggles
    ...Vs Bolton we had countless crosses and low passes into the box, and apart from Martin's first half scuffed effort from the edge of the box, I can't remember one good chance being created.
    1. Ward's shot from edge of area that missed the far post by a whisker.
    2. Dawkin's left foot shot from 18 yards that he scuffed just wide of the left post.
    3. Jeff Hendrick on 15 yards who changed foot and mis-kicked it wide with his left peg.

So there were some pretty good chances. That said, I agree with you and think Johhny Russell needs to be played alongside Martin, ready to latch on to flicks and chests to score just like he did against Leeds at home.

1. the fact we have to change to 424 so regularly suggests we are not getting it right from the start.

2. Fair enough we let 5 goals in, in 2 games, which is understandably worrying but we also got 4 points those games.

3. Hughes is being marked more closely, instead of making the most of this we are making it easier for our opponents by not giving him the ball enough, Hughes likes to receive the ball with men on, in fact he is more effective that way, and will often turn one marker fairly easily, instead we look to give the ball someone else who is in more space. Give it Hughes at every opportunity!! He'll draw extra defenders in leaving someone else free, who he will also pick out!

4. Give Bailey or Thorne a game in DM. Please.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)