+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitch

Pitch

So one of the reasons given by Davis was the pitch is naff in the middle, so they were forced to play it long which as Steve said, isn't really our style!!!

It's far past time we had something done about the persistent pitch issue! If it's costing us games and points then surly we should be investing in sorting it out??

Perspex in the roof to let the light through, mirrors to reflect the light, better drainage, better covers??

It won't cost as much as dropping a league

re: Pitch

I mentioned the pitch to Dario yesterday and said how good they are now compared with the 'old days' when at this time of the year there was no grass on it and all the training was done on it as well...

Some great games as well and of course some poor ones...In fact as poor as yesterday!

Its rather ridiculous to blame pitches nowadays imo.

I saw Steve Davis watch the same match as me yesterday which was crying out for some changes in the first half and it was what? 60 mins before a change was made? Usche and Moore should have come on for Pogs and Park much much earlier.

Not sure it would have made any difference but something was needed sooner!

Just remembered everyone had a reserve team back then which played on alternate Saturdays which wouldn't have helped the pitch conditions at all..

But 60 years is a long time as a fan and most changes are very welcome apart from the money which has ruined football in some respects.

Just in passing..

Its obvious all the matches are videoed now as we see all the goals and highlights and so my question is why don't the clubs offer all the matches via subscription via the internet as all the technology is there??

We could watch all the games especially the away games or even just the big ones?

I don't think it would affect gates as it doesn't in the PL but it could bring in more revenue for the smaller clubs and worth a try isn't it?

Listening to the wireless.. is so old fashioned nowadays..

. Re mirrors and Perspex roofs, do premiership and championship clubs with FOUR tall stand employ such measures? I think not, and yet they still have perfect looking pitches.
    The care of grass is something that, budget permitting we should be able to do as well as any premiership club

Poor excuse from the manager to blame the pitch. This is the same pitch that we hammered Sheffield United on a month ago. In fact, it was wetter and had fewer blades of grass on it for that game. I noticed Inman slipping three times down the wing during the first half. Obviously was wearing the wrong type of footwear. Blame the players and the tactics, Steve, before getting on about the pitch. It has had a three week to dry out.

Mike i would prefer to listen to Alan Green on the Radio than Alan Shearer in the TV studio any day,am sure many would agree.

I don't watch match of the day because I can't stand linekar or Shearer mate..

No, I was thinking of just streaming the match to our computers without the need of any commentary. ie just like when we see all the lower league goals late on the Saturday. ie Just need to hear the crowd for atmosphere if needed.

I believe most football viewers don't like all the pundits and seeing that bloke on ITV on millions as well proves the point yet again.

As I said, it can't be that difficult or that expensive to stream the matches to our computers or phones and something that I prophisise will come about one day.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Poor excuse from the manager to blame the pitch. This is the same pitch that we hammered Sheffield United on a month ago. In fact, it was wetter and had fewer blades of grass on it for that game. I noticed Inman slipping three times down the wing during the first half. Obviously was wearing the wrong type of footwear. Blame the players and the tactics, Steve, before getting on about the pitch. It has had a three week to dry out.
    It's the fact that it's dry, Mick, that makes it more difficult to play on - not that I think it's an excuse, as I've said elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon
    . Re mirrors and Perspex roofs, do premiership and championship clubs with FOUR tall stand employ such measures? I think not, and yet they still have perfect looking pitches.
    The care of grass is something that, budget permitting we should be able to do as well as any premiership club
    Sorry but this is simply wrong. Clubs of our size cannot afford to buy (or run) the type of light units used to promote grass regrowth at big grounds. Also Premier clubs have probably 3 times the staff and spend a lot on pitch treatment. We do have to realise where we are on this one!

You're right, but this has been an ongoing problem ever since the big stand was built.
    Considering our preferred style of play, a permanent solution would have long term benefits

I know that the things you mentioned are out of reach but I do wonder why the roof can't be replaced with transparent perspex (assuming that this would make a difference).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast