+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: They once played in red.

re: They once played in red.

It is reported in the Sentinel today that Ajay is set to join Yeovil. Obviously his move to Cheltenham has fallen through. We could well be seeing this young man playing at Gresty Road once again.

Time to resurrect this thread before it sinks into the ether.

Michael Higdon who played in red a very long time ago has signed for Sheffield United on a two year deal. I wonder if the 30 year old could have done a job for the Alex, or perhaps he would not have wished to return to a club where some of the fans were antagonistic towards the player?

They once played in red.

I dont remember any fans been abusive to him, what I do remember is him been down the pecking order behind Ashton, Varney, Lowe and Maynard.

Also most of his time with us was when we were in the Championship, interesting that his return to English football is in League one !

Maybe the management should have been booed and hissed, for not playing him in the way that would get the best out of him. Motherwell had no problem cottoning on to this.

Anyway, a player would come back if the moolah on offer was sufficient. But it never is, so let's not make this a question of Higgy's 'sensitivity'.

Quote Originally Posted by VindePays2009
    Maybe the management should have been booed and hissed, for not playing him in the way that would get the best out of him. Motherwell had no problem cottoning on to this.

Anyway, a player would come back if the moolah on offer was sufficient. But it never is, so let's not make this a question of Higgy's 'sensitivity'.

A bit harsh, VindePays. It was 'the management', i.e. Dario, who converted Higdon into a forward from the attacking midfieder of the youth team. He got some stick for that at the time, and Higdon got some stick, but he was trying - too early after his conversion - to fill the post Ashton void. Surely Dario was proved right by his later success in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrewe
    I dont remember any fans been abusive to him, what I do remember is him been down the pecking order behind Ashton, Varney, Lowe and Maynard.

Also most of his time with us was when we were in the Championship, interesting that his return to English football is in League one !
    He certainly did get a lot of abuse towards the end of his spell with Crewe and perhaps that is why he decided not to renew his contract with them and move northwards. Although he was "active" at the time Lowe, Maynard and Varney were at the club, Ashton had moved on almost two and a half years prior to Higden's move away from the Alex. I reckon that he has proved himself to be a capable striker, hitting goals wherever he has played, especially the 40 he bagged in 72 appearances for Motherwell. The former Alex striker was hailed as the SPL player of the year for the 2012-13 season.

Yes, Higden is now in L1, although at the autumn of his career, ther

Junior Brown has made the long trip south from Fleetwood to Oxford United. At least he won't be lining up against us this Saturday.

and Michael Higdon has just scored on his debut for Sheffield United.

Still didn't rate him at the Alex. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester

Not many people did, although that was a long time ago, AL. The lad has now hit the back of the net at L1 level and is only partially fit.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick

Not many people did, although that was a long time ago, AL. The lad has now hit the back of the net at L1 level and is only partially fit.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I wish the lad well - obviously apart from 2 games (at least) this season. He has obviously improved beyond measure ... as so many of them do. Especially when they come back as opposition.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast