+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this squad better than the early 80's squad.

re: Is this squad better than the early 80's squad.

The very fact that we are drawing comparisons with the 80/81 promotion winning team speaks volumes for how far we have come in the past few seasons. Players like Towner, Fern and Moore were great to watch, and the defence with Mullen, Forrest and Breckin were always solid as a unit. Evans and Raynor deserve much credit - and the players also for applying themselves and creating a side we can all take great pride in!

Towner was the most exciting player I've ever seen in a Roth' shirt. No way would we have got him today, he'd have been worth a million at least.

Comparing teams nothing between goalkeepers then would read Forrest, Stancliff, Morgan, Brechin; Towner, Frecklington, Gow, Pringle; Moore, Fern.

From both sides there's so many players missed out. Tavernier, Arnason, Agard and Adams. From 79 to 82 squad Mullen, Finney, Gooding and Seasmen.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERS_1884
    I do love all these comparisons with the 80/81 squad, wake up people although the 80/81 squad was exceptional it was 30odd yrs ago whrn footy and the players were not remotely comparable, Good ?? of course they were but a patch on the current squad certainly no where the same quality. Hypothetically speaking if you were to put the 80/81 team up against the current team would only result in a humiliating defeat for the 80/81 team and resounding victory for the current team, IMO.
    Totally disagree mate. I actually hate it when comparisons with past squads are made, it serves no real purpose. But to say a match up would result in a humiliating defeat for the 81 side is laughable. That side was an awesome side. Players like Towner, Moore, Fern, Mountford, Breckin would all seriously be pushing for a place in our current squad. Gerry Forrest was and still is the greatest right back to ever pull on the red shirt and would walk into ou

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev
    I do love all these comparisons with the 80/81 squad, wake up people although the 80/81 squad was exceptional it was 30odd yrs ago whrn footy and the players were not remotely comparable, Good ?? of course they were but a patch on the current squad certainly no where the same quality. Hypothetically speaking if you were to put the 80/81 team up against the current team would only result in a humiliating defeat for the 80/81 team and resounding victory for the current team, IMO.
    Totally disagree mate. I actually hate it when comparisons with past squads are made, it serves no real purpose. But to say a match up would result in a humiliating defeat for the 81 side is laughable. That side was an awesome side. Players like Towner, Moore, Fern, Mountford, Breckin would all seriously be pushing for a place in our current squad. Gerry Forrest was and still is the greatest right back to ever

Players now are total athletes. The 80's team could be regularly seen around the borough's pubs, having a pint or three. Such was the culture in those days. Squads were also smaller, and the loan system used more sparingly. Also the old team was put together by selling the "family jewels". I don't know who would win a head to head game, but I'd sure pay money to watch it.

I find these comparisons a little pointless as the game has drastically changed. Today we like most clubs rely on 5 loan players and have half a team on the bench not just 2 subs.

Tony Towner is the most exciting player I've seen play for any team, admittedly I was only a nipper at the time but he was very impressive. There was no Premier League and separate TV deal so the difference in money between the top division and second tier was nothing like it is today. If Tony Towner was playing today he'd be in a Premiership squad whether he played regularly or not. Premiership teams as we've seen now sign players like Ruben Reid knowing half the playing staff won't play regular.

Therefore in my opinion though the game is faster, players are fitter and pitches are better the Premier League absorbs most of the talent so the 1980's squad was better. That doesn't mean I don't rate RM or SE achievements getting the results on the pitch as that challenge is just as hard.

UTM!

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev
    Totally disagree mate. I actually hate it when comparisons with past squads are made, it serves no real purpose. But to say a match up would result in a humiliating defeat for the 81 side is laughable. That side was an awesome side. Players like Towner, Moore, Fern, Mountford, Breckin would all seriously be pushing for a place in our current squad. Gerry Forrest was and still is the greatest right back to ever

gwru team would be far better than Barnsley, Blackpool, Bradford City, Hull City, etc, teams that got promoted to the premiers*t (sob!)

The current squad is fitter & better balanced than the 80/81 championship side - every Miller fan from the 80/81 era must remember crying out for a left-sided midfielder!! But the 80/81 side was superbly organised & disciplined & more solid at the back. In Forrest, Stancliffe & Towner they had three of the Millers greatest post-war players: Seasman & Fern were not far behind in terms of skill, but the main memory is of superbly disciplined professionals like Brown/Mountford, Breckin, Mullen, Rhodes, Moore & Henson. If you were to combine the two teams into one I would say only Morgan, Frecklington & Pringle would make it from the current squad. The current squad does have more flair though & if it stays together & develops, it could well be the best in recent years, make no mistake!!

Another thing worth mentioning about the 80-81 team was the crowd's reaction to them, especially Tiger Tony.

Every time the ball was fed to him out on the right wing, I recollect that the buzz of anticipation from the Millmoor crowd was electric. They knew he'd be off to torment the opposition left back before making sure the cross was delivered to Ronnie, Rodney or John Seasman for an effort on goal.

Ben Pringle has the ability to have a similar influence, but the crowd reaction doesn't compare to the one Tiger used to trigger.

The current squad are technically more accomplished (albeit playing on the NYS bowling green rather than the more unpredictable late winter playing surface at Millmoor), but I'd still vote for the 80/1 team because of the characters involved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast