+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this squad better than the early 80's squad.

Is this squad better than the early 80's squad.

I wouldn't know as im only 27 but thought many on here would have an opinion???
    I personally think its better than the championship/division 1 team that Ronnie created.

re: Is this squad better than the early 80's squad.

This is the best Millers team I have seen, the pure class of certain players and how it all works as a unit is just a joy to watch. Teams of the past were more grafters than these technically gifted players.

I think all Millers are in dreamland at the moment, 4 years at DVS seems an eternity ago

Quote Originally Posted by thrilller_miller
    Teams of the past were more grafters than these technically gifted players.
    That may be true of Ronnie's promotion winning side but not sure you could describe the side Porterfield put together as mere grafters.

Agree about the current squad though. Had we started the season with these players we would be challenging Wolves for the title, I have no doubt.

Porterfield`s side was a very gifted hard working side and their final league stats were as follows ... (Only 2pts for a win in those days )

P W D L F A Pts
    46 24 13 9 62 32 61

Those nine defeats were all away. Our current side is probably on the verge of being as good but as yet, they`ve achieved nothing.

This is the best all round millers team I have ever known , yes we have maybe had one or two individuals who were better than this team but as a collective I haven't seen finer in a millers shirt .

Current squad is not as good overall as the Porterfield promotion team. If you had to choose a team from the two sets of players - Frecklington and Agard from the current squad would probably make it...Collin/Mountford roughly the same standard, similarly Morgan/Mullin...is Tavernier better than Forrest? (not sure)...other than that the Porterfield team was better (although current squad has more back-up on the subs bench)

Agard, better than Fern, Towner or Moore, I don't think so. Agard is ok, but not better than those three, some way to go. Agard will get better and hopefully become a legend, but not yet.

Its my opinion that this squad on the whole is just about as good as the 80's team if not a bit better.

It is of course a totally different game now.
    Straight red was unachievable.
    Only one sub from one.
    Pass back.
    Level is onside.
    Tackles were only a foul upon contact not intent.
    Nowhere near as many divers.

But yes, in my opinion this squad is better under the new rules. I don't think they would be after a couple of Grealish type crunches or Gow like chops. Under the old rules these were only a talking to or a yellow.

The 80`s squad had more individuals , this season is a team,including an exceptional bench.
    The strength being attack , even as far back as the full backs.
    I feel our signing of the season would be Tavernier on a permanent basis.
    Defensive wise look at the amount of clean sheets when Captain Morgan playing.
    Midfield Frecklington is realising his true potential and I rate better than Pringle.

I do love all these comparisons with the 80/81 squad, wake up people although the 80/81 squad was exceptional it was 30odd yrs ago whrn footy and the players were not remotely comparable, Good ?? of course they were but a patch on the current squad certainly no where the same quality. Hypothetically speaking if you were to put the 80/81 team up against the current team would only result in a humiliating defeat for the 80/81 team and resounding victory for the current team, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast