+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Evans tactics

Evans tactics

Again absolutely spot on. The way he got them closing down the opposition, even from goal kicks, preventing them from going short and playing it from the back reduced one of the best passing teams in the division to hopeful long punts up field which was meat and drink to Morgan and Arnason!

re: Evans tactics

I thought we were great today as we have been in so many games this year.

I did think that the tactic of having one up front and inviting Bristol on to us for the last stage of the game was strange to me. But perhaps the ideas wasn't to defend so deep.

I think if we'd have conceded in those final minutes questions would have been asked...but we didn't, we're having a great season, and in Evans I trust!!!

Up the Millers

you must have been watching a different game to me. i thought we started well and after the goal played really well. but they slowly came into the game and we dropped deeper and deeper and i thought there was a distinct lack of pressing.

i still think we deserved to win cos although they had a lot of the ball they did nothing with it and i thought they were really quite a poor team

if we were 10 points clear at the top some would still claim they knew better than evans

Agree with opening post and I'm just realising what a great tactician and reader of the game Evans is.

Stand out tactic was as said ...stopping the keeper playing the ball out...simple idea but very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller
    you must have been watching a different game to me. i thought we started well and after the goal played really well. but they slowly came into the game and we dropped deeper and deeper and i thought there was a distinct lack of pressing
    Tend to agree. I thought we were over cautious a bit and went far too deep. Taking Revs off for 5 minutes was strange leaving us with Vuckic who doesn't exactly show willing to run the channel and be an outlet to keep the ball up the other end in stoppage time which is what you need when defenders are pumping the ball clear. I was relieved at the final whistle we'd not conceded another to be honest.

Evans obviously trusts his players to execute the plan and hopefully we've learned from the last minute sloppy goals such as when we played Colchester early in the season. Doesn't do the heart any good though.

Whilst we played another good, solid game like last Tuesday I thought it was crying out to be

yes i agree deano its all right using your subs to run the clock down but towards the end of the last couple of games the midfield in particular needed some fresh legs in the final 15-20 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_83
    you must have been watching a different game to me. i thought we started well and after the goal played really well. but they slowly came into the game and we dropped deeper and deeper and i thought there was a distinct lack of pressing
    Tend to agree. I thought we were over cautious a bit and went far too deep. Taking Revs off for 5 minutes was strange leaving us with Vuckic who doesn't exactly show willing to run the channel and be an outlet to keep the ball up the other end in stoppage time which is what you need when defenders are pumping the ball clear. I was relieved at the final whistle we'd not conceded another to be honest.

Evans obviously trusts his players to execute the plan and hopefully we've learned from the last minute sloppy goals such as when we played Colchester early in the season. Doesn't do the heart any good though.

Whilst we played another good, solid game like l

His tactics won us the game so I dont really understand why people say he should have done something different.

lol That fact seems to have passed them by Kempo