+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Davis hints at Aneke staying at the Alex.

Steve Davis hints at Aneke staying at the Alex.

Steve Davis has hinted that Chucks Aneke's long-term future could be with the Alex, but is the manager serious about this suggestion?

The Sentinel explains that Aneke's contract with Arsenal is due to end in the summer and there is no doubt he is wanted for good at Crewe.

Steve Davis said,

"I'm not going to rule anything out, but he's still an Arsenal player of course and we respect that."

The manager has not spoken to Chucks about this, as he wants the lad to concentrate on scoring the goals that hopefully will keep the Alex in L1.

Perhaps if Crewe remain in this league, Aneke will fancy a contract with the club, in order to further his footballing education.

re: Steve Davis hints at Aneke staying at the Alex.

What are his wages? Prob 10 times more than most here, can we afford? Can't see him taking a massive cut, unless he wants a diff road to his future.

re: Steve Davis hints at Aneke staying at the Alex.

As much as I would like SD to persuade Chuks that his immediate future lies at the Alex (as Brad Inman believed a year ago - and I wonder if he is having second thoughts), I think the chances are slim.
    Chuks needs quality players around him and, as much as we have bolstered the squad with Ikpeazu and improvements in the form of Grant and Inman, I don't think we can provide that.
    I believe he is a Championship-standard player now and, with the right club, will become a top half Championship club player next season.

I don't like saying it, but I have to be honest. :-(