+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Getting Older

re: O/T Getting Older

You're a role model to us all, Wokes. I've still got my wicket as well, just have trouble remembering where I put my balls!?

Age is just a number. It would appear that people are living longer and many have not made preparations, money wise for this.

When you are a ****ager you probably don't think about death. In your thirties you tended to think that people in their sixties were on borrowed time. I meet people now, who are in their late fifties who say " I can't wait to retire". I also meet retired people who say, " I don't know how I had time to work".

You are a long time dead. Make the most of every day, enjoy life, do what you want to do and if you enjoy working carry on doing so.

I retired from teaching in 1995, and have been working part time since truck driving. I do not work every day of every week, I pick and choose when and if I want to work. The bills keep coming in and they have to be paid so some weeks I offer to work more than others. I suppose I am fortunate in having two employers that need my services.

Having said that my back injury has prevented me doing any driving since mid N

Well Tundra I'm 76 next month,always had a very good appetite although not much variety during the war but made up for it after and still do. Smoked from about 13, gave up 10 years ago but catching up with me now however I enjoyed everyone.Retired at 58,took about 5 minutes to get used to it and wondered how I found time to go to work for 40 years 6 days a week.Never get bored,trouble is time is flashing by.Still enjoy travelling,next month off for 6 weeks after we win the Third Division!
    Good advice Abbo, plan for tomorrow when you are young and retirement is great and every year is a bonus.
    Lastly get an understanding wife who realises for 9 months of the year Saturdays and sometimes Tuesdays are non negotiable plus get two tellys as there is quite a bit of sport which you will need to watch.QED happy life.

Some really good stuff on here. I hope it benefits those who haven't got to retirement yet because, when you get there, it is too late to change much.

I know what you mean about the tax man reducing your personal allowance, Abbo. They really don't like people having much money, do they? Still my net income is running at about 4k above their gross threshold and if they want any more, I shall just reduce my employed hours so they won't get it! :/

Hey Tundra - you should have titled this 'The old f *ckers thread' . I turned 60 a couple of months back, so retirement is now coming into view. Already started drawing a couple of company pensions from the '80s and '90s. Got another couple of small ones which I can take from 65. But I think I will still have to do a few hours to top it up. Never-the-less, I am looking forward to it.

Very good advice from all in this thread, one line in particular stands out from Abbo's reply "Advice to you youngsters, live for today but plan for tomorrow." Similar words that my dad has said to me since he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by peterknowlesburnside
    Hey Tundra - you should have titled this 'The old f *ckers thread' .
    I was going to, PKB, but then I didn't want the young f *ckers to feel left out!

When the personal cash flow diminishes it often takes some time to realize it. A good buddy of mine (ManC supporter but no one is perfect) runs a bakery on our island. The wife and I drop be for coffee and soup or sausage roll virtually everyday. I just did the maths and figured out we were going through about 80 GBP a week, that's over 4,000 a yr...sadly, we'll have to pull back.

I'm 51 now and I can't honestly see at what age I'll be able to retire- I reckon the official age is going to get pushed back a few times before I get there. I'm trying to plan as best I can but it's just something that even now seems a long way away.

At least being aware of it you can make small decisions now that may have a greater impact further down the road. Fortunately, my wife worked as a university professor for a number of years. With my modest pension, and the possibility of selling our house and "downsizing" we are better off now than we thought we would be...but I still have to keep looking over my shoulder to see if there is a wolf hanging around the door.

When we both had an income we didn't budget too closely, now, we are having to think twice before making any notable expenditures; every time we pay for something we are aware that it may mean going without something else. For example, we used to go away the odd weekend, stay in a hotel, eat out, etc. Now we are aware that we may have to decide whether weekend escapes or one, two-week summer vacation is what we want as we can't do both. Just being aware of where the money is coming from and where it is going can be a wake-up call at any age.

You're right but it's just something that doesn't seem real at the moment- I think Abbo said something about being as old as you feel and still (largely) having my health and going to music festivals and such, I guess I don't feel that old but my birth certificate tells me different. One of the things I probably need to do is to see a pensions advisor- it's all a mystery to me :/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)