+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home form of late

re: Home form of late

Grant was brilliant yesterday. Grant is mostly our best player and was a good signing. We'd have gone down weeks ago without him.

Our tactics yesterday were ok for the game but are not "footballing" methods, Wolves had those. What is this kick up to red shirt and try and play off it nonesense? It is not Crewe Alex at all, it reminds me of Gudjon (but we wouldn't have accepted this of Gudjon...). We have stopped being Crewe Alex at home, and last win was last time - funny that hey?!?

Yes Chalks, people will blame/excuse in many ways should we drop, but truth is we had many chances in Feb and March to change it but couldn't. Key problem, winning back to back - only club in the league who have not done it this season. Those out of it have, we never do.

I have been positive all season (and still am) but I wonder if there are under issues, square pegs etc as usual and going down is tragic after all the work, time and emotion of getting up - all wasted.

Home form, odd rumblings and very

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    Inman would be better playing deeper in that midfield role rather than trying to be a winger whereby he is knackered trying to do that.
    Inman would not be better playing deep at all. He is an attacking central midfielder - not because I am saying it either, but because he is saying it and all his 'profile' says it too. Play him in Centre Mid or as Number 10 or let him leave to a club that will?

Ok, he has to do a job out there but it isn't playing to his strengths obv. Goal v Crawley...oh yeah, down the middle.

No Toots behind him and no Murph beside him. Guthrie must be a nightmare to have behind you - big gap as Guthrie doesn't push on. So Inman feeds off long punts and scraps. Awful to do that to a CENTRE MIDFIELDER week in, week out.

Brad is our player, has over 2 years left, is our most expensive signing, was signed as a centre to replace Murph and is getting hammered for being isolated on the wing. Blame Inman? Nope! Look

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs
    Inman would be better playing deeper in that midfield role rather than trying to be a winger whereby he is knackered trying to do that.
    Inman would not be better playing deep at all. He is an attacking central midfielder - not because I am saying it either, but because he is saying it and all his 'profile' says it too. Play him in Centre Mid or as Number 10 or let him leave to a club that will?

Ok, he has to do a job out there but it isn't playing to his strengths obv. Goal v Crawley...oh yeah, down the middle.

No Toots behind him and no Murph beside him. Guthrie must be a nightmare to have behind you - big gap as Guthrie doesn't push on. So Inman feeds off long punts and scraps. Awful to do that to a CENTRE MIDFIELDER week in, week out.

Brad is our player, has over 2 years left, is our most expensive signing, was signed as a centre to replace Murph and is getting hammered for being is

Not harsh on Guthrie at all DGFG, completely accurate as you go onto agree. My point was never Guthrie but Inman, his role/position and how it requires support and the playing of little triangles moving forwards. Imagine if Toots was on his side of the pitch yesterday? Guthrie doesn't offer that and drifts (naturally) inside or punts.

Not Guth's fault he's played there, or Inman's or Pogs etc etc but the managers...oh no, a pattern.

Maybe Kelv at Right and Toots at left? Toots still our best left back (LOL!) and no wide leftie either. That should have been sorted in the loan market and not Park and Evans etc?

Dunno, mate - I think it's easier for us on here than it is for the manager.

Audel, Robertson turned out to be poor signings, - Mellor would offer more going forward but has made plenty of defensive mistakes when he's played.

Agree, don't get the obsession with ineffectual loan wingers either - a compact left footed left back who can overlap should be a priority in the summer.

Harsh to leave Guthrie out because he's done well, risk to move him to centre back at this stage and a bit unfair on Ellis and Duggy (plus I think we need those experienced warrior types now).

One other point on the Inman argument - Luke Murphy played plenty of games wide right without being particularly successful before he moved to centre mid - not sure whether that was part of his footballing education or just because they played him in the wrong position, suspect the latter.

There was a 'compact left-footed left-back' playing as a triallist for the under-21s last Monday. He overlapped well, dovetailing with Waters. Didn't find out his, but I think he would've impressed.

I agree with Proggs on Mellor at right and Tootle left. Mellor didn't make that many mistakes before being dropped, and I thought he made up for it with his attacking threat; not sure if something's 'gone on' there? All you can say is that Guthrie has shown up sufficiently well to earn a new contract, as there is improvement in him. Of course it would be harsh to drop him to restore Mellor, and maybe too late anyway, if we're thinking of playing Inman in Chuks' position?

I can only imagine that they don't trust Inman to keep possession, but he didn't really play 'inside' before he became our player did he? Nolan is a calm presence, who might still make an error through youth and inexperience, but he seems to complement Grant, who has been magnificent in covering others' errors, as w

well inman can have his spot in cm now, no chuks for 3 games

In response to the form of Grant in recent months, I feel that this guy has done superb for the Alex in midfield. The only blemish was his stupid actions that led to that sending off, which meant that he missed the crucial game against Oldham. Our performance that night needed the energetic and inspirational Grant on display.

I accept all you say about Grant. But its the results that count and how many goals have we conceded with him playing and how many assists has he done and how many shots on goal and how many goals.

THAT is the measure I use for a really effective mid field player..

Lunt was lazy for most people but how many assists did he have. Players should be trained to be like Murphy if that is not natural. Powell was such a player as well. OK we won't see players like this at Crewe each season but that should all be part of the academy approach or to bring in a really decent player to do that job. Nobody is doing it are they? Why not?

I keep hearing our problems are that many players are being played OUT of position by the manager and so...

Change the manager as its not working!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast