+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasons end!

Seasons end!

We have a thread ongoing about Wolves best season. We all have opinions on that. Us oldies will hark back to the fifties, while others will nominate a season in more recent times.

However, this season will live long in the memory. After the few highs, wins against Man U, Man City, Chelsea etc. and many, many, many lows of recent years, it is pleasant to actually win something.

Being able to travel to Molineux on a match day with a sense of a possible match victory, to watch a team play speedy, attractive clinical football has been wonderful. In total contrast to the feeling of how many will some mega rich club score against us today.

The standard of football in the League has been a pleasant and welcome surprise. The atmosphere that has been generated by our supporters and supplemented by the travelling fans of the opposition has added to the entertainment. For many, the trip to the 'Golden Palace' has been their 'Cup final' their trip to 'Wembley'. Their players have respon

re: Seasons end!

Probably being a bit controversial here but this was the first time this season we have met a real forceful attacking team and our defence folded.Remember this team came up from Division 4 just 9 months ago yet we let them score 4 goals on our patch, yes we scored 6 but... OK so we went a number of games with clean sheets but that was against third division opposition.What it does prove is that considerable strengthening will be required in the close season to hold our own if want to consolidate in the Championship, there will be more Rotherham types than Shrewsburys next season.

It certainly has been a great season, Abbo and I know what you mean about not wanting it to end. I am looking forward to the Orient match on Monday which I will watch whilst having lunch in the pub. Then up for the Carlisle game. Could that be another 30,000 attendance, I wonder?

Once the season has ended we will have all sorts of transfer speculation and some ins and outs. Fixtures are to be released at 9:00am on (Thursday 19 - edit) Wednesday 18 June and, before we know it, the pre-season friendlies will be under way and we will be planning our trips to the Mol.

For me the whole process will be punctuated with two holidays on the Isle of Wight and a long weekend in Lyme Regis. Along with the hope that Sus*** can stay at the top of the County Championship Division One, I expect to take in at least a couple of 20/20 or one-day matches.

Us old goats must just keep trundling along and enjoy it as much as possible while we can. With that in mind, I hope that your health holds goo

Wolves as a club, and definately on the playing side have given me some many moments this season to be proud of. It hasn't always been easy, but shrewd signings in both transfer windows have helped map the season. Replacing the goals of Leigh Griffiths with the signing of Nouha Dicko has proved a master stroke for Wolves. A defence and goalkeeper that has been excellent throughout, rarely giving anything away and helped set the stage for those in front of them. I hope to enjoy the remaining three fixtures of the season and hopefully see Wolves give it a good go next season.

Greystone, while to a point I agree with your post about letting in four, at times the game yesterday seemed like a pre season friendly.

I am not saying that we were not bothered about the result, but the tightness was clearly not there.

So who do we replace from the back four, Batth, Stearman, Rickets or Goldbourne? They would all be capable of playing in most Championship Teams. Rickets has International experience and Stearman has experience in the Premiership.

The problem was Abbo that we were found wanting in defence yesterday and next season there will be ex Prem teams and some very experienced Championship sides and I don't think,good as a our lot were in this third division, we shall be anywhere near as defencively good because we will be up against far, far better teams. We will need to blood in some of these younger guys with better class experienced defenders and midfielders if we want to progress IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by greystone16
    The problem was Abbo that we were found wanting in defence yesterday and next season there will be ex Prem teams and some very experienced Championship sides and I don't think,good as a our lot were in this third division, we shall be anywhere near as defencively good because we will be up against far, far better teams. We will need to blood in some of these younger guys with better class experienced defenders and midfielders if we want to progress IMO.

I agree Grey there is gonna have to be a serious evaluation of the current team and where we need to strengthen, to first consolidate ourselves in the Championship and then what we will need to progress.
    Ricketts for example has my total respect and has captained this club magnificently this season and for that I thank him but his lack of pace and the fact the Queen Mary can turn quicker will make him an 'Achilles heel' next season all these type of decisions will have to be

Transfer targets to improve the Wolves squad for next year will no doubt already be a priority for Jackett and Thelwell.

The back four have performed brilliantly this season but we have benefitted from a degree of consistency- what worries me is the back up. Where Golbourne's been missing, Ricketts gone to LB with EEL or Doherty coming in at RB- similarly if we've been short at CB then Ricketts goes there. As much as I like Sam, he's probably nearing the end of his playing career, Big George isn't good enough and Hause is work in progress. And I've seen something saying Stears is out of contract ? Of the players we've been linked with, I'd definitely like to see Harry Maguire come in.

Thanks, Abbo', for an excellent thread starter and to all for their constructive comment.

Few could disagree with the comment made by Greystone', however, rather than choosing last Friday's match I thought he might have looked elsewhere to illustrate his point.

Against Rotherham, KJ would have tried to impress upon his young team their need to remain totally 'switched on', but it seemed that any such advice fell on deaf ears.
    IMO they fell victim to the euphoria of their own success and by mentally relaxing created additional,unnecessary, difficulty for themselves. Following their previous encounter with Rotherham earlier in the season, our lads would have been aware (as were we all)that the 'Millers' were no easy push-over's, yet, during the game, Wolves allowed their discipline to falter and very nearly surrendered what had been a good first half-lead. What followed was high drama and very entertaining, but for the lapse in concentration by Wolves, should never have happened. Whil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)