+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girls at football matches.

Girls at football matches.

Don't recall that many girls at Hillsborough back in the 70's...certainly not the same numbers that attend today, when did they get interested in the game itself rather that just to hang out with boyfriends, still don't really know any female personally that actually likes the game that much.

re: Girls at football matches.

Ask Katch...She'll tell you.

OH...thou it was a thread about softy southerners going to football

i liken it to the amount of people that go to the gym these days, it's the 'in' thing to do, to look cool...to be part of the in crowd.

re the gym...these are the self same people who's parents use to send a note excusing them from games when they were at school.

they're looking to see what's the latest tattoo to have adorn their body.

I use to be sceptic, now it's just the badness that's left and I'm just septic!

ray...in Batley.

My mates wife is mad on Wednesday and goes to every home game...although she goes with their daughter and he comes and sits with us down other end of stand

I once took a girl to a Wednesday match to spite her dad - who didn't like me anyway, and was a blade. We played Middlesbrough at home and the first question was "is Middlesbrough near Liverpool?"...that was the moment I claimed to never take a girl again!

She understood so little about football, that I think she would really suit Katch...

Quote Originally Posted by redgreggie
    i liken it to the amount of people that go to the gym these days, it's the 'in' thing to do, to look cool...to be part of the in crowd.

re the gym...these are the self same people who's parents use to send a note excusing them from games when they were at school.

they're looking to see what's the latest tattoo to have adorn their body.

I use to be sceptic, now it's just the badness that's left and I'm just septic!

ray...in Batley.
    Ray you are right. I now live in Leicester and the amount of my daughters friend who suddenly discovered football the week Leicester got promotion was amazing, am sure it will go on as the prem starts to turn up next season. Fair weather supporters, hangers on, call it what you will it certainly happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherhamowl10

the first question was "is Middlesbrough near Liverpool?"...that was the moment I claimed to never take a girl again!
    Yeahhhh right? that's the reason lol

Only the odd few went away int 70's,as you can see Oz on the pics at Lincoln & Chezzie on your 70's 80's thread...but a couple of decades ago didn't I read that both Sheffield clubs were top of a league for most female fans ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl
    Don't recall that many girls at Hillsborough back in the 70's...certainly not the same numbers that attend today, when did they get interested in the game itself rather that just to hang out with boyfriends, still don't really know any female personally that actually likes the game that much.
    1990 and only after Gazzas tears...

Fecking women, took me about another 10 years to convince males that I was a serious football fan.

Also I can confirm I didn't have a boyfriend at 6 years old

Quote Originally Posted by cazzaswfc

1990 and only after Gazzas tears...
    You're seldom right about football cazza but you've hit the nail on the head there. The cultural shift seemed to happen after Italy 90, and the fairer *** became more interested in football and all the narrative and theatre that accompanied it.

Just a shame women's football hasn't taken off over here as of yet. Perhaps we need a star in the vein of Birgit Prinz or Marta to mirror Gazza's tears.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)