+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The beauty of the play offs

The beauty of the play offs

I understand the argument that the team finishing third deserves to be promoted (especially if they win it by some margin) but unless my maths are wrong, with only 2 games remaining (three in the case of Wigan and Watford), every team in the top half of the championship still have a mathematical chance of reaching the play offs (probably isn't actually the case when you work out who has to play who).

re: The beauty of the play offs

I love the play offs and I think they're essential for keeping everyone interested in the second half of the season. as you said, with every team in the top half still in with a shout, coupled with about 8 teams that could still be relegated, there aren't many teams with nothing to play for! and that's what you want.

I supported the clough regieme but I got **** board of having nothing to play for in the last 10 games of every season. It was like 'what's the point, we're not gonna get promoted or relegated'.

then there's the occasion it's self. the 2 legs are the only atmosphere to rivals that of the forest game each season and if you're lucky enough, that great day at Wembley whether you win or lose.

I love it.

I disagree that Wembley is a great day out win or lose.I have great memories of the play-off victories over Millwall and Southampton and strangely enough fond memories of the games against Blackburn.I went to them all.
    The game against Leicester is seared into my heart and has given me a dislike of Leicester that will live with me for the rest of days.

We were dominant and could have been more than one in front at Wembley before they equalised.
    I always disliked Steve Walsh and David Speedie and we always had close games with them in the early nineties.
    I can remember (it was like watching in slow motion)Paul Williams seemingly duck under the ball and let it into the net right in front of us.
    The winner was a kick in the teeth because it was so close to the end. We were the better side (unlike against West Brom) and Wembley is not a place for losers.
    I well remember the entire Leicester bench coming on to the pitch at the end and the Leicester fans draping flags across the motorway b

What have you done to me, mentioning the play-offs!!!
    I have just watched the highlights on You Tube and seen again our 2 early misses. One cleared off the line and Tommy Johnson missing an open goal.
    I watched until we scored our goal and I have never watched any highlights after that point.
    I switched it off and now my recovery has been put back almost 20 years. I am sat in the corner a nervous wreck and my dislike of anything from Leicester has just come back to the surface. I am twitching and drooling.
    My wife has just said "have you been watching the Leicester play off highlights again".

Never listen to anyone who says Wembley is a great experience even if you lose!!

Guess you didn't go to the semi-final against
    the cheating bstards called Juventus then.
    Maybe you were too young for the seething rage that one caused,i wasn't tho.

You are right Sheffield, just started off a tremor of bad memories from the Leicester play off final here too. They all seemed like giants playing against our skilled midgets in comparison. I have never gone to see Jack and the Beanstalk again without envisaging Walsh and the enormous legions of the damned.

Sadly I also remembered that we had a left back called Forsyth that game too - lets hope its not an omen.

[quote="sheffieldrams"]I disagree that Wembley is a great day out win or lose.I have great memories of the play-off victories over Millwall and Southampton and strangely enough fond memories of the games against Blackburn.I went to them all.
    The game against Leicester is seared into my heart and has given me a dislike of Leicester that will live with me for the rest of days.

We were dominant and could have been more than one in front at Wembley before they equalised.
    I always disliked Steve Walsh and David Speedie and we always had close games with them in the early nineties.
    I can remember (it was like watching in slow motion)Paul Williams seemingly duck under the ball and let it into the net right in front of us.
    The winner was a kick in the teeth because it was so close to the end. We were the better side (unlike against West Brom) and Wembley is not a place for losers.
    I well remember the entire Leicester bench coming on to the pitch at the end and the

I was at the Man United game. I was only 16. It was a bad day and we never really got going that day. The injury to Charlie George before the game was a blow. I remember the hordes of Man United fans coming across the pitch towards us in the kop end at the end of the game and taunting us.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)