+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Shrews

The Shrews

In The Shrewsbury Chronicle,their board has issued an apology to the fans,on the way the season has gone and been run.
    They have also cancelled their annual player of the year awards.
    NOT that I think we will fail,but if it should happen,do you thin we will deserve an apology,and cancel the player awards?.

re: The Shrews

Think its a bit extreme to cancel Awards night,but some of the other remarks to me are to be admired.

Absolutely not, and I don't understand the Shrewsbury apology either unless there has been a total lack of effort.

If we fail, it will be marginal - how does cancelling the Player of the Year awards help? Are we then saying to the likes of Chuks Aneke that his efforts don't count?

We seem to live in an apology culture these days? If you follow professional sport, you should be aware that the element of competition means you are likely to be disappointed on a regular basis - it actually makes the good times sweeter when they do come around.

Sounds like a cheap PR stunt by the Shrewsbury board which insults the intelligence of their supporters.

If we get relegated, will you feel better if the board apolgizes and cancels the Player of the Year awards? I won't - I'll actually feel a bit worse.

What's the end game? Every team that gets relegated apologises?

Really annoys me this type of stuff, just patronising.

Tend to agree with DGFG on this.
    We need to say thanks to those players who have stepped up after the August to November debacle. It will also be an opportunity to say special thanks to some players who are leaving (and if the rumours I have been picking up are true, then have done much more than just play football).

Loved the 'apologies culture' paragraph: long term fans of the Alex have many more years of rejection and depression than the relatively few times of elation. :-D

What I do find patronising, especially this season, has been the announced MotM award to an Alex player when all we have seen is a resounding drubbing and a totally lacklustre team performance. Can we not reserve this award for when it can be properly given?

I agree with all of the above. The blame culture indigenous to Korea, China and Japan seems to be spreading. Why should the deputy headmaster of a college be faced with wrath so extreme, and so undeserved, that he commits suicide? (Which is another cultural trait in the above countries.)

In Masterchef last night, John and Greg let through only one of the four contestants because the others were so dire, and quite right too.

Maybe Shrewsbury should follow the example of that Welsh housing association, and hand out consolation Cadbury's Creme Eggs at the last home game.

Quote Originally Posted by VindePays2009

Maybe Shrewsbury should follow the example of that Welsh housing association, and hand out consolation Cadbury's Creme Eggs at the last home game.
    With a a wooden spoon as well?

Agree it's totally over the top from Shrewsbury, same mentality that insists that football managers HAVE to be successful.

I'll be the next to agree. Can we deny Toots (in all probability) his Player of the Season award because some of his colleagues haven't always performed to their best, all right haven't often performed to their best! And some might be accused of not necessarily trying.

But those that have really come through since Christmas, especially Garratt and Guthrie, need to know that the fans appreciate their progress and look forward to more. And who can say that Ellis, Chuks and Grant have not put a full shift in over recent weeks and will be just as gutted as the rest of us if we get relegated.

Perhaps the Shrews board should apologise for not supporting their managers and players. . but I don't know enough about their on-field displays to comment on whether their team have been trying. Perhaps they just aren't good enough for League One, as the Stevenage manager pretty much admitted last weekend.