+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Play Off Seasons:- Class of 1994 vs Class of 2014

Play Off Seasons:- Class of 1994 vs Class of 2014

This comparison just popped into my head!?!

Simply, which team do people think was the better side? (which ever way people want to read it. Squad/starting eleven/on the actual day/over the season/position vs position etc)

I love watching the 2014 side play, some of the football this season has truly been a pleasure to witness. I have, however, always had a soft spot for the 1994 side and wondered how they would have coped had they gone up and not been defeated by Leicester in the final!?!

What do people think?

re: Play Off Seasons:- Class of 1994 vs Class of 2014

we were robbed in 94 ask anyone who were there . lets hope justice is done this time and we go up playing attacking attractive football. but we will need massive changes to stay there .

Quote Originally Posted by southernram22
    we were robbed in 94 ask anyone who were there . lets hope justice is done this time and we go up playing attacking attractive football. but we will need massive changes to stay there .
    Will we? History suggests that teams who play expressive, attacking, passing football tend to do well in the top flight, without needing to spend much.

On topic; don't know, I wasn't even a sperm when me Dad was at this game.

I was twelve at the time. It was my first and only experience of the Old Wembley. Face painted, shirt on, scarf aloft! My abiding memories of that game were seeing Tommy Johnson give us the lead, watching Paul Williams seemingly let the ball roll over his head, down his back and into the net for 2-1 and being perplexed and really upset, getting lost out side the ground and being fed up on the bus coming back!?!

I thought I'd see what people made of the comparison between our current team and the '94 one as I think most people would agree that as we stand now, we have a better side than either the Davies or Burley Play Off teams...

I don't think we are quite as good as the Jim Smith automatic side but that is another debate!?!

I would say that the current side has more potential than the 1994 side although it isn't the finished article by any means.

The engine room comparison between Pembridge and Bryson sort of sums this up. Both good players but I think Bryson just edges it. Overall the current midfield en masse I think are better - never liked Harkes that much and Cowans was pretty much past his best by then..

The 1994 team wide men may be better than our current "pick 2 from 4", and gabbiakitson were a great combination, but in terms of squad depth up front then 2014 shades it.

Nothing much in it defensively - both are adequate but have room for improvement.

So overall: defensively evens, midfield 2014, strikers 1994, bench 2014.

i just want a '07' result

I remember that header Williams missed on the line like it was yesterday, the ball just swerved slightly, though he put his head down instead of keeping his eyes on it. I also remember the commentators throughout the game saying that Derby played like a premiership team.

I'd say this team are better, on the basis that I prefer Martin over Gabbiodini, and I don't remember much else from 94 only being a nipper at the time.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)