+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tribal Nature of Some Fans

The Tribal Nature of Some Fans

Let's put it this way: I love my club like almost all of you and even our rival fans with theirs.
    It makes me sick when they lose or fail, for sure. But they aren't and can never be the 'be all and end all of my life.' Heck I don't mind mind being dressed in their colours on my death bed and having my cremated ashes strewn over the ground where they play.

But to say, I would be violent and bear enmity because of what they do or don't do and the retorts of rivals would be a path I would never go down on.

So I'm surprised at how tribal football has become. Take 2 incidents I've witnessed here in the Asia Pacific region:

a) My friend is a life long United fan. He had a neighbour who was a Liverpool fan. The last time Liverpool were challenging for the title, this neighbour started making disparaging remarks at my friend because of the rivalry between the 2 sides. No this wasn't friendly banter. It was crude, derogatory with a hint of violence. Needless to say, Liverpool didn't win and

re: The Tribal Nature of Some Fans

Hear hear.
    It's only a game and people are dying in Syria, Ukraine etc.

I agree with much of what you say but I wouldn't go as far as wearing a rivals colours!

If I was offered a Derby shirt as a gift, I would decline it, as no one that I know would offer such a thing to me except in jest and would therefore not be offended at the rejection.

That said, when I used to play football I had shirts of other teams that I used to wear for training but never a rival club.

Shut up you tart

Quote Originally Posted by tricky1972
    I agree with much of what you say but I wouldn't go as far as wearing a rivals colours!
    I also agree with a lot of it, but seriously wearing a rival shirt?

The thought of ever wearing a Forest shirt is just too bizarre to contemplate.

I know 2 hard core derby fans that were made to wear a forest kit on more than one occasion, as it was the team we played fors kit. they never ever lived it down

I manage a bar which has many forest fans frequenting it, and just after the 5-0 win a forest fan who knew i supported derby tried to have a pop. No arguments or anything built up to this, he just shouted sheep shagger and started swinging. Luckily ive done this job too long to worry about stuff like that and it was no bother in the end. But i agree with the OP for a grown man (he had a good 10 years on me and im 32) to act like this is baffling childish nonsense. It turned out we later found out, his Mrs had been dancing with another guy and he was pissed off but he didn't have the guts to confront this guy and so by the end of the night wanted to have a go at anyone.This speaks volumes and i suspect most hooligans have one or more of the following
    A small *****
    A cheating girlfriend/wife
    No Girlfriend/wife
    A **** homelife
    NO money
    Very low self esteem

I pity most of those sort of ****holes, they are generally losers.

I've supported Notts for over 50 years and most of that time we've had to play second fiddle to Forest.
    I've got lots of friends who are Forest supporters who have given me grief for years and years. It's always been witty and rarely personal.
    You can't blame me or other Notts fans for enjoying your recent disappointments. It hasn't happened often so it's a case of making hay.
    The pendulum swings quickly in football and I know full well that you'll enjoy having a pop back. It could even happen as soon as this Saturday (I bloody hope not)
    I do not subscribe to personal abuse or violence in any shape or form from any quarter.
    I luv Notts as much as you all love Forest so lets leave it at that.
    PS I think you'll be in a relegation scrap next season. Pearce was a great player but there'll be fireworks when your owner starts telling him what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts
    I've supported Notts for over 50 years and most of that time we've had to play second fiddle to Forest.
    I've got lots of friends who are Forest supporters who have given me grief for years and years. It's always been witty and rarely personal.
    You can't blame me or other Notts fans for enjoying your recent disappointments. It hasn't happened often so it's a case of making hay.
    The pendulum swings quickly in football and I know full well that you'll enjoy having a pop back. It could even happen as soon as this Saturday (I bloody hope not)
    I do not subscribe to personal abuse or violence in any shape or form from any quarter.
    I luv Notts as much as you all love Forest so lets leave it at that.
    PS I think you'll be in a relegation scrap next season. Pearce was a great player but there'll be fireworks when your owner starts telling him what to do.
    That is probably another debate for another thread but agree with your points on rivalry

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    I also agree with a lot of it, but seriously wearing a rival shirt?

The thought of ever wearing a Forest shirt is just too bizarre to contemplate.[/quote]

Surely you could do it if you were (well)sponsored for charity Elite? Its a lot less tiring than running 26 miles and you can always have a good shower afterwards! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast