+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Original Gresty road

re: The Original Gresty road

Started going to the Alex in the early 70's so this is the ground I grew up with. It was a dump, but a lovable dump! Full of quirks and character, from the weird angle of the Gresty End roof to the wooden terraces at the back where the nutters congregated, then there was the flat shale 'fighting' area behind the goal and the open latrine behind the bar. Best of all, as a kid, you could just wander round the whole ground and even climb into the stand at the railway end when no-one was looking! I pity the young kids today who have to sit on a bit of plastic for two hours - it's not natural at that age. Crowds were poor because the team was - 2,000 was a good turnout, but the atmosphere was much better in my opinion, because everyone was so close to the action. Happy days - long gone.

When I started going the little block in the corner of the Gresty end was a bar for drinking throughout the game! Chalky wold have loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo
    Don't think everything was better in those days -remember the football.
    Its arguable that some home games this season match many of the poor games over the years and as you said even then the atmosphere was better.

My first game was around 1955 and enjoy looking back at some of these pictures so thanks. The worst part was the smell from the latrines after half time.

I think there were more characters back then like Frank Lord, Bert Lewellyn Ron Colman who used to stir up the crowd by licking his fingers before setting of on a run down the wing. That was great to see..You all have your favourites over the years like that..

In our current team, the characters that will stick in the memory? You one!

Characters equals problems in football these days, sadly. Also, with our squad generally being younger and having come through the Academy system they are taught to keep a lid on it - and I'm not just talking our Academy. I don't remember any of the characters you talk about Ike, as I only moved here in 1987, but there is something predictable about players and their responses these days. I guess that's why some people like Mourinho, although I think he is an arrogant hypocrite before he is a good manager - at least Colin W*nker knows how to have a laugh when he isn't in the dugout.

Best character I saw at GR the past couple of years was di Canio in the technical area, playing to the crowd, living every moment then taking the trouble of shaking every one of our players' hands after we beat them. He may be an arse sometimes, but at the time that would have meant a lot to some of our younger players.

Agree AA with you that Di Canio was a brilliant showman and made us laugh the whole time during the match by pointing at his arse and looking up at the main stand and when his players missed a sitter or a bad pass etc, he waved his arms and shook his head as though to say bloody useless..

He should have been given more time at Sunderland imo..Unfortunately we see in the PL the players can get the manager sacked, indeed arguably in the case of Moyes as well.

I actually like managers who show passion during the match and not just stand there..But others will have their own view on that..

Its takes a lot for an opposing manager to shake hands with the other team's players after getting beat as Swindon did and quite easily as well and hope somehow we can produce that sort of form on Saturday.

On paper it looks like two draws at Crewe and Tranmere and that will be enough!

Aghhhhhhhhhh...The tension is mounting!

Eric Cantona was exactly the point you were making...Brilliant play

Quote Originally Posted by lyndongrange
    Includes the cattle market and the pig pens!

And that wonderful wonky roof cover that followed the line of Gresty Rd
    opposite side of gresty are the sheep pens under the corrugated arch roof on the right and the cow/calf ring further right hex building, I spent every monday and friday here to earn my money for the weekend.

Pity the admission prices were not the same as they were in the mid-60's. As a lad, I paid 2 shillings to watch from the Popular side. You could wander around three sides of the ground for that. That's 10 pence in today's money. For the upgrade in the Paddock, beneath the old wooden stand, it was half a crown (12 1/2 pence). A programme would set you back 6d (2 1/2p).

A bundle of programmes from the hut at the side of Gresty Road End, would cost you a shilling. Happy times in the 60's and actually the football was entertaining. The club had 2 promotions and several finishes just outside the top 4 (Div Four).

Also loved the smell of Horse linament,when the players came out.
    Think they just use magic water now,and maybe Brut.

Quote Originally Posted by NEVTHEDEV
    Also loved the smell of Horse linament,when the players came out.
    Think they just use magic water now,and maybe Brut.
    You could smell it when you waited outside the changing rooms awaiting that autograph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12