+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a joke or what?

re: Is this a joke or what?

Quote Originally Posted by jolly_roger
    Agree on the capitalism comment.

It does however work both ways. By pandering to some folk's demands you can alienate others.

Boycott the chain if you feel strongly about it
    Trust Me i will

Quote Originally Posted by millmoorlane
    As has been said above, they've made the decision to alter the menu in around 10% of it's outlets to satisfy local demand.

Why is it even newsworthy? Food vendor in selling food that it's local customers want to buy shocker!!!
    Asian population of Rotherham 2011 figure 3.47% and so that means the main Rotherham town centre branch is halal because of customer demand?

Sounds more like pandering to a minority and hoping the majority don't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire
    This is how capitalism works gentlemen. Customer demand changes for varying reasons (religion being one) and sensible companies will react and change their offering. As a consumer I can decide if I wish to continue buying from them although I doubt very much the Rotherham area branches will be affected.
    The Rotherham High Street one is already halal, hope the turkey bacon is a hell of a lot better than the last time I had it.[/quote]

That surprises me because I have never seen the sign. I usually use the one on the Manvers, it s much cleaner and the manager/franchisee is very friendly.
    Being 100% honest as a meat eater the last thing I want to know is how the animal has been killed. Two things you should never see how they are made, laws and sausages.

As has been said above, they've made the decision to alter the menu in around 10% of it's outlets to satisfy local demand.

Why is it even newsworthy? Food vendor in selling food that it's local customers want to buy shocker!!!
    Asian population of Rotherham 2011 figure 3.47% and so that means the main Rotherham town centre branch is halal because of customer demand?

Sounds more like pandering to a minority and hoping the majority don't notice.[/quote]

Just checked and you are indeed correct, the Rotherham High Street branch is Halal only along with three in Sheffield. Seems odd to me but there you go. They arent trying to hide it though, you can search for the nearest store either clicking Halal or not.

The Wath and Wickersley ones are not halal.

If the Asian population was 3.47% in 2011 it's probably about 4.4% now, in the town centre it will be higher, say 10 to 15% maybe, it's still a minority so obviously Subway want to sell to those people and hope that non-Muslims either don't care or don't notice.

Turkey ham I've had before and that's not too bad, turkey bacon is pretty horrible and tastes nothing like bacon IMO so I can't see how anyone having a bacon subway sandwich wouldn't notice.

The Wath and Wickersley ones are not halal.

If the Asian population was 3.47% in 2011 it's probably about 4.4% now, in the town centre it will be higher, say 10 to 15% maybe, it's still a minority so obviously Subway want to sell to those people and hope that non-Muslims either don't care or don't notice.

Turkey ham I've had before and that's not too bad, turkey bacon is pretty horrible and tastes nothing like bacon IMO so I can't see how anyone having a bacon subway sandwich wouldn't notice.
    I checked the nearest 50 to me GF and only the Rotherham one, 3 of the 20 or so Sheffield ones and Dewsbury (as you might expect) are Halal. I will stick with the Manvers one, if they were to change it, I may or may not rethink. My favourite tipple is a big beef melt anyway.

SUBWAY SUBS AFFECTED BY RULES
    Subs
    Chicken and Bacon Ranch Melt
    Steak and Cheese
    Meatball Marinara
    Subway Melt - ham, bacon, turkey breast and cheese
    Italian B.M.T. - pepperoni, salami and ham
    Spicy Italian - pepperoni and salami
    Chicken Avocado

Breakfast subs
    Bacon
    Mega Melt - bacon, sausage, egg and cheese
    Sausage
    Bacon, Egg and Cheese
    Sausage, Egg and Cheese
    All ham and bacon is replaced by turkey ham and turkey rashers and all meat is prepared according to Islamic halal rules.

I had the day off not long ago and as I was out walking I thought I'd get a breakfast bacon sub, went in and was advised they didn't do pork anymore so it would be turkey... Bought it, thought it was rank first thing in the morning, dry and tasteless so... I won't be buying it again. A little disappointed as every now and again I enjoyed getting that but that's life, it won't kill me to avoid it in future, in fact, it'll do me good.

A commercial entity making a commercial decision is a long way from a taxpayer funded school changing to Halal against the wishes of the majority of the parents/children.

If the bacon Subway serves in England is anything like what they serve over here then they could replace it with just about anything and it would be a big improvement. I've seen more meat on Crash

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast