+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Rotherham town centre "has too many shops"

OT Rotherham town centre "has too many shops"

...with an above average amount vacant.

Matthew Hopkinson, director at the Local Data Company, the firm which carries out research on high streets, town centres, shopping centres, retail parks and standalone out of town stores, uses LDC statistics from January to assess how far Rotherham has come and where it still needs to improve. - view external link

re: OT Rotherham town centre "has too many shops"

Thanks Rothbiz.

As we have nearly 8% more empty shops than the national average I think the positive slant on that story is very brave. Basically it says well done Rotherham for under-achieving. As you have some empty shops you therefore have too many shops.

There would not be as many empty shops if parking was free. The council must see that we have to compete with Meadowhall - which is not only weather proof, but has free parking.

Still - some shops have been filled - so at least some progress has been made.

I'm just guessing here, but for the hardcore shoppers, its about the experience, not just walking in one door after another.

There needs to be meeting places, and other attractions

The sooner we legalise marijuana the better. I would make a point of frequented Rotherham town center every time we go up there. As it is, I don't think I've set foot in there (other than Saturday footy) for 5 years or more

It's amazing to think that some shopping centres having increased "dwell times" of up to 5 hours.

I can't think of anything worse than walking around Meadowhall for five hours but if you combined a film, some food and a mooch about you might be close.

A "tighter" town centre with more leisure and restaurants seem to be the key. I do hope a cinema gets built in town.

Too many shops? Makes perfect sense to me, in the same way that we don't have unemployment... we just have too many people!

Such as Retail World and Meadowhall have drained shoppers away from the town centre, with such as the Frenchgate centre in Donny, being in the town centre.
    But also just there is not a lot of money around in the town. We need more (secure) jobs and pay.

Just how much money have the data company had to come up with the blindingly obvious?

The ones on wellgate could move further into town filling up the empty shops ,can always turn them into houses/flats on wellgate .

I noticed the shop that used to be Mallinsons - between Staniforths and the RBS bank - being renovated, anyone know what that's going to be?

Halal butchers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast