+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pre season slogs in the hot sun!

Pre season slogs in the hot sun!

Much as I'd like us not to be playing pre season games in July against the likes of Norton, Kidsgrove, Leek, Quorn, etc it won't happen, IMO those games, the injuries, the hot weather were detrimental to our poor start, we looked knackered from the off, why can't we just play games against quality opposition? And less games!

re: Pre season slogs in the hot sun!

I think we can wipe Truro off the list from last year! The others were mostly (apart from Blackburn and Villa) local jaunts - Chester, Newcastle Town, Norton, Leek, Nantwich and Stafford Rangers.
    Done properly these can be good marketing to attract new fans.

I would like to see a two-week break from the last of the friendlies and the start of the season, but that may not be possible given the availability of PL sides.

Congleton good day out for Mick, Quorn for AL, horse and carriage to there and a topping good meal at a local tavern before the game!

Wasn't Pogba injured in the pre season game vs ManU?

Not sure whether that was due to contact with the opposition or non contact?

Just to say the only danger with these pre season games is that lots of players are not always regulars and are playing to impress their manager and so will get 'stuck in' and that can result in serious injury no matter what team we are playing. But then Harry Davis got his injury in training and so my recommendation is to avoid all pre season matches and all training sessions.. Just carry 50 lbs on your back and run to Beeston and back

Oh and throw a medicine ball every 100 yards that may improve our throw ins..

Anyone remember the medicine balls? Do they still exist?

Have always said to many Pre Season Games, that do Crewe No use at all, I can remember Ashton, Adebola, Powell all being injured in Pre Friendlies missing the first few ***** games.

Quote Originally Posted by itwasin
    Have always said to many Pre Season Games, that do Crewe No use at all, I can remember Ashton, Adebola, Powell all being injured in Pre Friendlies missing the first few ***** games.
    I tend to agree that we should be able to get to 'match' fitness using the gym and playing each other at the heath..I would think the under 21's would stretch the first team any day with fitness levels at least. Anyway didn't do any good this last year by having them..

I like the friendlies purely for selfish reasons in that I look forward to the start of the season and like the reason for a day out with the lads especially the long trip to Nantwich,

Pre-season training. As a lad, in the mid 1950s, I remember seeing a lorry (think it may have been "Wybunbury Crystal Sand" - Chris Callaghan was a player who also drove for the company) with a cheery Alex team standing on the high-sided flatbed. They were heading down Weston Lane, Shavington heading out for a run "up country". No mini-tours in those days.