+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eustace V Thorne

Eustace V Thorne

From anyone who has watched the two it will be clear that Thorne brings more to the side than Eustace. Here is a blog that I regularly read which discusses this. No surprises that GT is fast becoming a fan favourite. - view external link

re: Eustace V Thorne

I told you Eustace was a one trick pony many moons ago...
    You can see the value of a fully rounded holding midfielder now. I did chuckle at some of the Eustace comments earlier in the season. I was half expecting to be going to Brazil at one point..

Prior to Eustace joining we were crying out for a holding midfielder, anyone who had a mature head and knew how to break up play. You are/were right, he was never a world beater, but our lack of a player in that position meant that he was highly valued. GT however is on another level.

I actually think our current midfield of Thorne, Hendrick and Bryson is beautifully balanced and could perform in the Premiership, it's that good.

With Thorne in the team we can accommodate Hendrick and this gives us a bit more pace and power in the middle without losing the passing and ball retention qualities we had with Hughes, Eustace and Bryson.

If we could only sign one player this summer it would have to be Thorne?

It's a shame we can't get Hughes into the line-up, such a talent but can't make our midfield.

The only thing that let's Thorne down is his touch, which is horrendously sloppy at times, and would probably be punished a PL level.

The only way to get Hughes in too would be to play a midfield diamond with Hughes at the tip. Then you would need a pair of strikers. Martin with either Bamford or Russell say.
    That would sacrifice a lot of width so you'd be relying on good full backs who can push on.
    Not something to try in the playoffs but maybe something to experiment with in preseason, depending on who we buy.

Eustace is a good defensive midfielder. I reckon those singing eustace's praises were just recognising how effective that role was for us and what a difference he made. We were crying out for a Def Mid until he arrived, and our team clicked into gear with him protecting the back 4. I don't think many thought a 34 year old journey man was the answers to our prayers, he was always a stop gap. Even less expected a replacement as great as Thorne. But he is a good player who improved our team a great deal. I for one appreciate the points he helped us gain that have us sitting in 3rd.

Lot of back tracking going on here. Eustace was never even an average one trick pony.. Caught out of position constantly, no vision, can't pass wind.
    I believe I got shot down in flames at one point for calling him a journeyman pro..
    Did he really have as many 8/10 games as D_D's scoring would lead us to believe?? Or were people just clutching at straws at the time.
    The blog stats in Bear's OP are spot on.. Pants at passing, pants at just about everything else. Some were just desperate for a hero..

In fairness Angry, we accumulated a lot of points when Eustace was in the team, before Thorne got his run. And there were games he didnt play where we capitulated - Ipswich first half, Leicester away...

I think Eustace has played an important role in our seasons achievements. That said, thorne got his chance and has taken it, and looks a great young player

I wont be one to dismiss Eustace contributions, and still think you were previously harsh on him. Agree never an 8/10 player, but rarely dipped below a 7/10 for me. He was the midfield equivalent of a Marc Edworthy!

No backtracking from me, i have pretty m,uch consistently said what i just said. Time to let it go i think angry. Decent player who did a decent job. You can only glory in your little victory for so long mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)