+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Brian Clough Trophy

re: The Brian Clough Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramondo
    I have always thought that the Brian Clough trophy should be between Derby and Forest for just one specific match each year, held pre season. Alternating grounds each year.

This nonsense about it being presented every time we play is just silly. When we play Forest in a cup or league game I care about the points or getting through to the next round, I don't care about the Clough trophy because it is the least important.

But if it were a specific game every year where the trophy was the main focus then it would mean something. It would also guarantee we both play each other, regardless of what division we are in. Be a good warm up for the season for both teams as well, instead of just the insipid training games that make up pre season preparations.

I dont think I would go along with that. It would be too emotionally charged and could lead to a preseason injury list. I would prefer the more insipid approach with the gradual accumul

Maybe Forest should play Chesterfield for the trophy... They may at least draw.

you've missed the point awks.

Maybe Forest should play some sort of cup game vs Matlock Town or Ilkeston? That is after all where all their fans go on a Saturday when Forest start losing.

Did you really just say we finish mid-table

Yes, we usually do but look where you are now? I'd call 11th pretty mid-table wouldn't you?

From my memory... And apparently 10 years is a bit long for some fans, the Brian Clough trophy was started as a memorial after Brian's death. It is a way for both clubs to keep the and memory alive.

In a similar vein to the Bledisloe cup in the antipodes, every game that is played is played for the cup.

Similarly if a season where there are no league games are not scheduled a one game friendly will be scheduled to contest the cup.

Talk of changing this - or denigrating why both teams set it up is insulting the.

Quote Originally Posted by Addisons_a_monster
    From my memory... And apparently 10 years is a bit long for some fans, the Brian Clough trophy was started as a memorial after Brian's death. It is a way for both clubs to keep the and memory alive.

In a similar vein to the Bledisloe cup in the antipodes, every game that is played is played for the cup.

Similarly if a season where there are no league games are not scheduled a one game friendly will be scheduled to contest the cup.

Talk of changing this - or denigrating why both teams set it up is insulting the.
    I think that if a separate match is arranged purely to contest the trophy, it would do more to mark Brian's memory than anything else. My point being that in the current arrangement, the league or potential cup result is far more important than the trophy.

Just in my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by garibaldi
    It was started by Derby to remind the country that Forest's Cloughy also managed Derby once.

Cloughs legacy is using his great to score points it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by sheeeeeeeeeep
    Maybe Forest should play some sort of cup game vs Matlock Town or Ilkeston? That is after all where all their fans go on a Saturday when Forest start losing.

Oi Sheeeeeeeep, I'm from Matlock and we have bigger fish to fry right now! How could you suggest such a thing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)