+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One more push - Aberdeen on Sunday

re: One more push - Aberdeen on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by wellin
    Going by the last few games, hanging on in the second half of games, i think some of the player's are maybe carrying wee knocks and not doing to much training during the week and it's now beginning to tell.
    I'm not saying this isn't a factor but its not the main reason. We've been playing this way for most of the season. The basic problem is that the midfield, especially in the centre, is imbalanced and the defence hasn't been playing well, although its been left exposed. Goalkeeping hasn't been our strongest point either. Tactics too have played their part.

I don't see us doing it either, not that I'm too bothered about it.

It's not a certainty as before Tannadice the Dons were also wobbly. And missing a few players - hopefully Flood doesn't recover - makes a big difference to the too.

But we seem to be running on empty right now.

I just hope we don't get tonked, the players don't deserve to end on a real low after a campaign like this.

Tactics too have played their part
    This being one of McCall's failings as rarely gets right and incapable of changing during a game the odds are stacked against. With the exception of Lasley key creative players are off form, i.e. McFadden, Vigures and Ainsworth and if these 3 fail to perform throughout the 90 mins and/or drift out the game, our chances of victory were as likely Scotland beating England at cricket in Aberdeen yesterday ... they lost.

We have over achieved this season and 3rd admirable, should have won 2nd spot outright had we beaten Killie, Hibs and St Mirren before the split .. all poor sides and where lost guaranteed 2nd spot but our frailties came back to haunt .. again.

All true... but you just never know. At the moment my heart is full of optimism but my head is full of dread...and my gonads are ready to get a kicking come full-time tomorrow aftrenoon. 'Mon the 'Well.

Sorry for delay to your request lawman as not been on site but here we go. On our last 15 visits to Aberdeen we have lost 2 with the last defeat coming in 2008 and over that time we have won the majority of them. Every season since McCall been manager we have managed a victory up their and have all ready done so this season so we know how to win their. Everybody says decisions even themselves out over a season so hopefully in Sunday they go our way as must be due a few. We also got a big chunk of luck on wed night in last minute when McKay hit post so maybe our luck is changing as we will need that on Sunday as well. All in all I have not said we will win as still unsure to be honest but I totally believe that we can win and I'm sure it will come down to who gets the breaks on the day but as bob the builder said can we do it YES WE CAN

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid
    Tactics too have played their part
    We have over achieved this season and 3rd admirable, should have won 2nd spot outright had we beaten Killie, Hibs and St Mirren before the split .. all poor sides and where lost guaranteed 2nd spot but our frailties came back to haunt .. again.
    Don't really understand how you can say we overachieved yet still should have had second wrapped up by now. Yes, we dropped stupid points but his happens to everyone over the year. Aberdeen took one from nine v Hearts!

In an earlier post, I said I thought Aberdeen were a better team than us, but the "Stats" don't back that up. We have won 21 games to their 20.Only Celtic have won more than Motherwell. I know we have struggled from time to time but this is an excellent achievement.

yes it is an excellent points total we have accumulated but to be honest the standard of football at times has been dire . Unfortunately there is no sign or indication that this is likely to change...and I don't just mean with Motherwell but the whole of Scottish football. However go on 'Well it'll look good in the record books and those sheep need taking down a peg or two

Don't really understand how you can say we overachieved yet still should have had second wrapped up by now
    Accept lack of clarity.
    IMO with the squad we started season thought Top 6 a possible goal. Many posted we'd be relegated (?)
    However, performed better than initially thought in a poor SPL and maintained good position throughout - IMO we over achieved.
    Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were unknown quantities and soon became apparent vastly improved from last season.
    St Johnston are another side who improved and Inverness maintained their form until Butcher departed.
    Accept we recently defeated both but we were Raphael Sheidt against both and narrowly won.

As the split approached we were in a good position and should have secured 2nd place with wins over bottom SPL sides before
    final games. Accept we are still in the hunt but doubt will secure the win at Aberdeen for reason given above.

Quote Originally Posted by ouialpha
    yes it is an excellent points total we have accumulated but to be honest the standard of football at times has been dire
    Dire compared to what? Last season's side? English Premiership? Scottish Championship? Well teams under Maurice Malpas or Bobby Howitt?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)