+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The greatest Alex player?

re: The greatest Alex player?

Neil Warnock or Ian Macowat.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Gordon Wallace by a mile. This man had everything. Had he have been a few inches taller, not have suffered the leg breaks at Liverpool (before he joined us in 1967), Wallace would have gone on to be one of the best in the first tier of English football. That double leg break for us against Watford in 1968, destroyed a promising Alex career. He was never the same again.

Cannot isolate one but Gordon Wallace is in the list with Johnny King, John Mahoney, Stan Bowles, Neil Lennon, David Platt, Danny Murphy, Dean Ashton and Nick Powell.

The near miss list would be 25 Dario finds or products starting with Rob Jones and running through to Luke Murphy

Bowles was probably the greatest talent but Murphy and Powell contributed so much for our team in Wembley visits. Johnny King and Platt had the real impact at the top level maybe but never saw Frank Blunstone

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXKNOWALL
    Gordon Wallace by a mile. This man had everything. Had he have been a few inches taller, not have suffered the leg breaks at Liverpool (before he joined us in 1967), Wallace would have gone on to be one of the best in the first tier of English football. That double leg break for us against Watford in 1968, destroyed a promising Alex career. He was never the same again.

Cannot isolate one but Gordon Wallace is in the list with Johnny King, John Mahoney, Stan Bowles, Neil Lennon, David Platt, Danny Murphy, Dean Ashton and Nick Powell.

The near miss list would be 25 Dario finds or products starting with Rob Jones and running through to Luke Murphy

Bowles was probably the greatest talent but Murphy and Powell contributed so much for our team in Wembley visits. Johnny King and Platt had the real impact at the top level maybe but never saw Frank
    Blunstone[/quote]
    Frank who?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmaverick

Bowles was probably the greatest talent but Murphy and Powell contributed so much for our team in Wembley visits. Johnny King and Platt had the real impact at the top level maybe but ne

I can still see John Mahoney crying his eyes out at the end of the game at home before he went to Stoke. He didn't want to go and rare you see that loyalty anymore and he was obviously going on more money as well.

Not sure how he fared there though?

He too is one of my favourite players. Anyone thinking all the best times were after Dario took over may be right in terms of results but there were some great players and personalities before then and why we remember them with the fondness we do..

I suppose the 'greatest' ex Alex player in terms of achievement in the modern era is probably David Platt as no other player from here went on to Captain England and we still remember that great individual goal he scored in the World Cup..

Can't remember who it was against and when though?

I suppose I could find out. No doubt someone here will know immediately.

vs Belgium in 1990?

Tough one, and Platty would probably get the nod but it has to be Dean Ashton for me.

If Deano hadn't have got injured he would have been one of the firsts on the England teamsheet.

All of his Alex games were in the Championship too (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS
    vs Belgium in 1990?
    Don't forget his perfect header v Cameroon in the QF. Also a great cross from Stuart Pearce!!

My vote would be Ashton in terms of the best player I saw playing for the Alex (as opposed to which player achieved most after leaving the Alex), followed by Platty and then Danny Murphy.

I tend to agree with crewedaft that Deano was the best I saw playing for the Alex (I've only been going since 1987 so can't comment on somed!). Honourable mentions to Platty and Danny, but also to Rob Jones who, like Deano, had his career cut short by injury, but recall his Liverpool debut when he marked a certain Ryan Giggs out of the game.

Shouldn't forget Lennon either. The only Alex player I can recall who could cope with our continuing inability to take a decent throw in with a top first touch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast