+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we signing too many

Are we signing too many

of last seasons squad for the next one ? After all , the more you retain , the less scope you have to bring in others that can make a difference . Or on the other hand , is McIntyre right enough in doing this .

re: Are we signing too many

There is a lot to be said for continuity. These guys have done well this season and with Young, Kidd, McHugh moving on and Carmichael/Kerr still uncertain there is still space for new faces.

I think that the board have decided that with rangers and hearts in the league,that they won't be in the promotion shake up.

They have signed the players that hopefully will be good enough to guarantee a mid table place.

Who knows, with maybe another 2 or 3 good signings may even get into the play offs again.

This way they won't break the bank chasing something that, on paper at least, will be unattainable next season.

Oh ye of little faith

I wanted to stimulate some debate on this subject so this I will try . I am note sure about re-signing Paton . I say this about the person I rate as the most talented player at the club . How many times do we actually see what he can do ? Another is a player I greatly appreciate for everything he has done for Qos - if anyone has seen my previous posts - and its Derek Lyle . An impact player now and thats it in my opinion . Is he worth another contract ? There are another couple I am borderline about but I have got to say that I am delighted that our ' back five ' have re-signed again . Chris Higgins might not get in every week but what a great pro and he has served Qos brilliantly . What a back up player to have who can force himself into our back four .

Lyle is a good player to have in your squad . He may not be a regular starter but when selected or when coming on as a sub you'll be guaranteed he'll give 100% .

Paton is a very frustrating player , loads of ability but doesn't show us it often enough .

I clearly know that Lyle is very good at coming on and making things happen . We have seen this numerous times . Is such a person worth signing over someone that can start a game and make an impact ?

Lyle was definately worth retaining. He has another good year in him and he's been a great servant for Queens.

Michael Paton is very talented but has struggled with injuries on and off his first full season with us, so in those circumstances its hard to get to full form. He'll come good next season hopefully with a bit of luck.

But could we sign someone better than a player who's coming to the end of his career? We have seen how better we perform when we have forwards with pace.

Lyle was great at the start of the season but the last few games he'd become a passenger completely out of it.

He's been a great servant but i think this season should have been his last.

Paton can be great for 20 minutes then you forget he's even on the park! He's like the nice guy version of Willie McLaren

I'm really pleased that we have signed virtually all of last seasons team, so quickly as well. Most of these players can play in different positions as well, and that is a great strength over a long hard season.I would say that we only need to add a keeper, left-midfielder and a tall centre forward and the squad will be complete.I think that we definitely have a team that can challenge for a play off again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)