+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is promotion this season?

re: How important is promotion this season?

It's important to go up as soon as you can. Swansea were not ready! Stoke not ready! Palace not ready! They all did ok. Cardiff on the other hand had been building and on the verges of the prem for years before they went up, yet they have come straight back down with a bang. We have the right people at the club to take us forwards in the prem so in my opinion we want to go up now while we are in a good position throughout the club.

I dont think its *****, after all everybodythought Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton Wigan and QPR would be back up with the additional financial resources and it hasnt turned out that way.

I dont see that our key players will be offski either, where to? Another newly promoted club or one that just escaped relegation from the prem, I reckon that with the great strides made since Mac came in, we will be strong contenders next season.

How can it ever be too soon to go up??? Thats a fallacy, its how thats handled which makes the difference, Wee Billy clearly hadnt a clue hadnt prepared and ended up signing poor players at a premium, I cant see that happening this time IF the miracle does occur.

Rush is right, the squad does not need wholesale changes, just some astute quality additions which gvien the coaching and scouting team we now have should be achievable.

I think the only reason some think it is too early is through fear of a repeat of our last brief spell in the top flight. Plenty of clubs have gone up with squads you'd expect to come straight back down. Look at Palace, a good manager and they nearly break the top half in their first season. Southampton, Stoke etc have preserved their PL status for a few years now so I don't see why we can't if we get our preparation right providing we beat QPR.

On the subject of players leaving, a lot of these players will no doubt after this season be wanting pay rises. Many of them do not have long left on their contracts. Can we actually afford to keep them if we do not go up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)