+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager?

re: New manager?

[quote="ShottermillSaint" is
    It may be the be the same scenario as he had at Espanyol where he brings the youth players through and they're sold, you can only do that for so long before the well runs dry and you end up getting sacked for poor results just like he did in Spain.
    [/quote]

Is a very good point. He has been burned before so maybe he goes before they do. On the hand maybe they wouldn't if he didn't? We will never know but when I look at England at all levels and the youngsters going through I don't see the well drying up even though I accept some will be sold, that is almost inevitable at any level.
    Still the die appears to be almost cast so I wait and see what happens next. Looks like summer won't be boring.

I agree with Mr Proclaimer on this one.

Whilst it's a pity to see him go, I'll still be grateful to him for his part in our most exciting season in years. But it won't be the end of the world, life goes on etc etc.

However, I still wonder if he really does fully appreciate how much higher the expectation levels will be cranked at WHL. A look around various Spurs sites tonight reveals the vast majority are distinctly underwhelmed at the prospect of his appointment - and he's not even started yet.

As Proc says, from a financial viewpoint Poch is obviously upgrading - but as for his professional development? I'm not so sure. And the same goes for some of our players...

Quote Originally Posted by ShottermillSaint
    On almost every aspect, except financially, I don't envy Poch on this one. It seems Spurs wanted the Ajax manager (who has won 4 championships) but he apparently didn't want them.
    Then there is the respective clubs.
    Saints with patient, passionate, supportive fans. One of the best youth set up's anywhere and a team that seemed to be right with the Manager.
    Spurs are just about as far opposite to that as it's possible to get.
    ... and while Poch goes into a dressing room who are going to want convincing about why they should listen to him. The new manager of Southampton will have some of the best young talent to work with, eager to learn and develop.So for that reason I hope we don't end up with a cheque book waving Manager but someone who will work with the players to continue to develop what we have, combined with a few shrewd

The site I saw for your next manager had Gus Poyet favourite at 5/1, Dan Petrescu and Neil Lennon at 6's, and Malky Mackay, Di Matteo and Tim Sherwood at 7's.
    Any of those take your fancy?

None apart from Di Matteo.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndown
    The site I saw for your next manager had Gus Poyet favourite at 5/1, Dan Petrescu and Neil Lennon at 6's, and Malky Mackay, Di Matteo and Tim Sherwood at 7's.
    Blimey, what a list that is, if they added Chris Hughton then it would be a full house
    I rate Poyet, did very well at Sunderland last season but why would he leave to come here?
    Had a long conversation with my Spurs supporting uncle this evening, he's very underwhelmed by the prospect of MP going to WHL and was very scathing in his critisism of Sherwood, utterly clueless was his description.
    Seeing as Di Matteo is big pals with Cortese i think you can rule him out and if any of the others get the potential job then there will be many painful saturday afternoons next season imo

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndown
    In a word - NO.

Michael Laudrup, Jurgen Klinsmann, Steve McClaran and Nigel Pearson are all on a list too and all of them better than the one's mentioned - IMO.

Well, I don't think he'll go. We will see!

MP has been refusing to commit to the future, since he was first asked about extending his contract.
    Bottom line is that he is Cortese's appointment and as such maybe feels he should move on, out of loyalty to him, irrespective of any offer put in front of him, by the board.
    Whenever MP discusses Saints, he invariably refers to "the project", and doesn't seem to "feel the love" for the club, that one would hope he would show.

I am not enamoured by some of thes, being bandied about as his possible successor, and quite like the idea of going for Yakin (Basle, available and a lazy Swiss connection) or Teuchel (Mainz and supposedly on a years sabbatical but able to sign for another club if Mainz agree and it's also a lazy German connection).
    Both have done well and play similar styles to MP, which could be the difference between a seamless takeover and a meltdown.

Whoever we do sign, as a replacement, should he leave, I hope the board are strong enough to place MP on gardening leave

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast