+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: England for the cup!

re: England for the cup!

Satisfactory would be the quarters.
    Success would be the semis.
    Outstanding would be the final.

And winning it? - a novel by J.K.Rowling.

I'd be happy if Australia don't get hammered 5-0 every game

I've got money on Rooney not scoring and you can get good odds on England not getting pass the group stage. We looked mediocre against Peru and that is probably as good as it gets. Its a shame there are one or two players with potential who we probably wont see. What we will get is mediocrity from the same old faces, I wish them well but not sure why people think we are world beaters all of a sudden. I think Englands level is qualification anything else is a bonus.

More like an EGG CUP England will win

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe
    Satisfactory would be the quarters.
    Success would be the semis.
    Outstanding would be the final.

And winning it? - a novel by J.K.Rowling.
    While I accept you were perhaps being a little 'tongue in cheek'. How have you come to the judgement that quarter finals is only satisfactory. According the the world rankings, we are the 3rd ranked team in our group. Uruguay are 7th, Italy 9th, England are 10th. Success is qualification through the group... And a bl@@dy tough group it is!

If we get through the group, I think we'll get to the quarters, because we'd play the qualifiers from group C in the round of 16 (Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan). If we'd finished 2nd in our group, we'll almost certainly meet the eventual winners... Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Dean_Ashton
    How have you come to the judgement that quarter finals is only satisfactory.

Well, whether we rightly "big up" England's chances or not, whether we consider our lack of success on the international scene, I still think most would still place England as "a big player" in world football. Look at the money swishing around in the English game!

For that reason, anything less than quarters has to be seen as a failure, doesn't it? (tough group or otherwise). I bet Uruguay and Italy are as chuffed as we are that we're in the same group. Italy can't even handle Luxembourg FFS!

As for the rankings, hardly worth the paper they're written on. Consider Switzerland and Brazil in the current list for example

I agree with your last point though.
    Brazil? - at home? - in that heat? No brainer!!
    I'm surprised bookies are still taking bets!

see what you're saying about the rankings... but they are the only measure that we have (and they supported my point so i used them to my advantage ).

Whilst I've said getting through the group is sucess (and i still think it is), I'd just be happy with us going out there, playing with creativity, courage and without fear.

The two friendlies have been encouraging for me. There are some exciting attacking footballers in the squad and i think/hope we will be a lot better to watch.

This World Cup needs to be seen as a platform for our young playesr to gain tournament experience and be in a stronger position for 2016 Euros and 2018 World Cup

ODA is right. The squad that Hodgson's put together looks so much more positive and exciting than 4 or 8 years ago. Against Peru we looked entertaining; against Ecuador, they wanted to impress.
    With Sturridge, Sterling, Smalling, Shaw, Barkley, Lambert and other youngsters, whatever the results we will be good value for watchers. Gerrard could be immense if he is on form: feeding, leading, directing and accurately passing, he could be the 'man of the tournament' if we get through the first round.
    I'll just be pleased to see some real football on the telly.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Dean_Ashton
    This World Cup needs to be seen as a platform for our young playesr to gain tournament experience and be in a stronger position for 2016 Euros and 2018 World Cup

I see that argument often. Arsenal fans have seen similar from Wenger for many years too!
    But there comes a time to actually deliver. You can't KEEP building!!!
    You're just lucky we're in South America this time where historically European nations have no chance anyway - so I'll let you off!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    With Sturridge, Sterling, Smalling ...

I always respect your view, AL, you know I do ... ... but SMALLING??
    Was that a typo?

No, I agree you can't keep building forever. If you want me to put a time limit on it, I would hope that if this squad continues the develop with the nucleus of attacking players that AL mentions (minus Smalling!), then I would expect us to be serious challengers in 2018.

What WILL be important is who we appoint post Hodgeson (who, by the way, I think is doing an excellent job!). Whilst given the reputation by the press of being quite conservative, he's given youth a chance in this squad and shown a pathway from the u21s. He isn't getting any younger though and we'll need to appoint someone after him who embraces the same ethos.

Like AL, I'm looking forward to watching this group play at the World Cup... Hoping that they surprise me and have a good run through the tournament.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast