+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England for the cup!

re: England for the cup!

Quote Originally Posted by One_Dean_Ashton
    I would hope that if this squad continues the develop with the nucleus of attacking players that AL mentions (minus Smalling!) ...

Love it!

Yep, having lived through the "Golden generation", I hope we don't label this group - rather, we just let them get on with it.

Glad you like Hodgson, I do too. Still struggling to figure out why it went pear-shaped at Liverpool.
    Just wrong job for him I guess but he wasn't given much time!

As for his successor ... someone like Steve Bruce perhaps!? Must be English, I've had enough of all these other guys!

I actually don't know who I'd look to appoint. Think Roy will at least take us to the Euros and hopefully in that time the perfect candidate will become clear.

Yes, OK, Smalling was stretching the point a bit too far. :-D But you got the point and, you never know, he might come on as an emergency sub and play an absolute blinder. Ooops, just ducked under a low flying pig.

Hodgson? Why not keep him for another four years? What's he's doing now is working and he seems to have the players' respect. He also has an eye for those who are up and coming. Let's see Nick Powell in a full England shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    Let's see Nick Powell in a full England shirt

But for Moyes shipping him (instead of Januzaj) out to the DW, I genuinely thought at the start of the season that Powell would be the regulation late entry/surprise pick to the squad.
    Playing in the Champs did him no favours at all in this regard!
    Maybe the Euros then ...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    ODA is right. The squad that Hodgson's put together looks so much more positive and exciting than 4 or 8 years ago. Against Peru we looked entertaining; against Ecuador, they wanted to impress.
    With Sturridge, Sterling, Smalling, Shaw, Barkley, Lambert and other youngsters, whatever the results we will be good value for watchers. Gerrard could be immense if he is on form: feeding, leading, directing and accurately passing, he could be the 'man of the tournament' if we get through the first round.
    I'll just be pleased to see some real football on the telly.
    Entertaining against Peru, I think I must have blinked and missed that bit, entertaining for you utterly lacklustre for me, you will be telling me next that Equador was a positive and entertaining game. You then mention Smalling as a positive and your argument falls flat on its face. you. I concede that Gerrard can be immense on his day, but I fear good old Roy will persist

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper
    ODA is right. The squad that Hodgson's put together looks so much more positive and exciting than 4 or 8 years ago. Against Peru we looked entertaining; against Ecuador, they wanted to impress.
    With Sturridge, Sterling, Smalling, Shaw, Barkley, Lambert and other youngsters, whatever the results we will be good value for watchers. Gerrard could be immense if he is on form: feeding, leading, directing and accurately passing, he could be the 'man of the tournament' if we get through the first round.
    I'll just be pleased to see some real football on the telly.
    Entertaining against Peru, I think I must have blinked and missed that bit, entertaining for you utterly lacklustre for me, you will be telling me next that Equador was a positive and entertaining game. You then mention Smalling as a positive and your argument falls flat on its face. you. I concede that Gerrard can be immense o

you can pick his starting line up now and most of the positives in his squad wont be in it. [/quote]

As AL said, it's all opinions. But, go on then. What will the team be? Let's see if you get it right. Also, would you not be worried if the manager didn't know what his team was going to be at this stage? (During a rain break in the last warm up game!)

Further to that, I assume by your criticism that your starting XI would be quite different? What would it be then?

Only watched the second half of the match last night and I was not impressed with the level of entertainment on offer from either side. It was like watching paint dry and worse than lower league soccer. I have seen the Alex perform far better than that. England will have to do much better than that if they are to make an impact next week.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Only watched the second half of the match last night and I was not impressed with the level of entertainment on offer from either side. It was like watching paint dry and worse than lower league soccer. I have seen the Alex perform far better than that. England will have to do much better than that if they are to make an impact next week.
    Agree Mick.
    To offer some crumb of comfort, I think the idea was 'acclimatisation' and a run around. I don't think the England squad expected a 'friendly' against a side whose prime aim seemed to be to crock as many red shirts as possible. I thought, initially, that Honduras were going to offer some tactical and skilful opposition to test the England lads. What I saw was talentless thuggery.
    Aah well. Onwards to the real stuff in the Amazonian jungle (that's South America, not the warehouses dotted around the UK X-D). Hopefully we will find that less taxing (sorry - political aside there :-)).

Have watched the 2 Miami friendlies and to be honest have not been impressed. I would describe our tactics as slow. ponderous, and totally lacking of imagination. No playmakers and a total lack of movement.

For me the worst part was the 1st half display last night. Gerrard, Rooney, and LLanana were dreadful. Slow negative passing. No playmaker, no runs made. As soon as we got over the halfway line there was zero movement by any of the advanced midfielders. It was totally predictable and was easy for the opponents to deal with. Really that is not international level football.

Thank goodness when Gerrard and Rooney were subbed. Barkley and Wilshere were initially a big improvement. They actually wanted the ball. Made themselves available and were willing to run with the ball, Unfortunately it only lasted for about 20 minutes.

I know it will not happen but personally I would drop Gerrard and Rooney. They completely lack mobility. Lets be honest Gerrard is not an internatio

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast