+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T D-Day Then and Now

O/T D-Day Then and Now

Saw this on the Burnley site, thought it would be worth re-posting here. - view external link

re: O/T D-Day Then and Now

I've just finished reading a book called Victors, which tells the D-day landings from the point of the GI's and the commanding officers leaving a lot of the middle ranking officers out. The lost of life from D-day to the end of the war is terrifying. During the war the Russians lost more men than the rest of the allies combined and kill 8 out of 10 German soldiers that died in the war.

There is a road that I have driven along many times in the lorry that runs through the Somme. It starts in Amiens and goes through Albert and Bapaume towards Cambrai. In one small village there is a cafe with a model of a British soldier standing outside and a tank parked on a block of concrete.

There are literally dozens of War Cemeteries along that route, all kept in immaculate condition. Graves of British, Australian, New Zealand and other allies, very moving!

My late Grandfather used to talk about some of the towns they fought in, and theirs became real as I often drove through them; Valencienes and Marchiennes, just two of many.

He often spoke about the Scots and how the Germans seemed very afraid of them and their bag pipes. He would have stood in the trenches next to a Scot anytime.

A terrible thing war, such a shocking waste of life. But countries still havn't learned the harsh lessons, nor will they ever.

I was only eight months old on D-Day. With all of the films and other exposure, I almost feel like I was there. I feel that is how it should be. A lot of people gave their lives for our freedom and they should never be forgotten.

See the link:- - view external link

Remembering D Day 6th June 1944.

On the beaches of Arromanches-les-Bains, different generations came together to remember the D-Day landings - and the sacrifices made - 70 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom
    There is a road that I have driven along many times in the lorry that runs through the Somme. It starts in Amiens and goes through Albert and Bapaume towards Cambrai. In one small village there is a cafe with a model of a British soldier standing outside and a tank parked on a block of concrete.

There are literally dozens of War Cemeteries along that route, all kept in immaculate condition. Graves of British, Australian, New Zealand and other allies, very moving!

My late Grandfather used to talk about some of the towns they fought in, and theirs became real as I often drove through them; Valencienes and Marchiennes, just two of many.

He often spoke about the Scots and how the Germans seemed very afraid of them and their bag pipes. He would have stood in the trenches next to a Scot anytime.

A terrible thing war, such a shocking waste of life. But countries still havn't learned the harsh lessons, nor will they ever.
    Re

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom

I'd

Aren't you talking about the First World War, rather than D Day?

Oh dear, a thread has strayed slightly off topic...well done for enlightening us all.

I watched the BBC coverage yesterday and was mightily impressed with how they handled the day...and in partucular Huw Edwards who anchored the broadcast...a class performance over ten hours

A marvellous day made even better by the sunshine blessing the veterans

Scotty out of Star trek had a finger shot off during the D-day landings a tin in his chest pocket saved his life as the bullet carry on and hit him in the chest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)