+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Keeper on the Horizon

New Keeper on the Horizon

News in the Sentinel today, suggests that the Alex are eying up former Rotherham keeper, 33 year old Scott Shearer as a replacement for the departed Steve Phillips.

re: New Keeper on the Horizon

decent keeper - played at out level

Is it true Philips is now Liverpool's goalkeeping coach?

On the face of it what was the point in getting rid of SP just to replace him with someone similar and maybe less experiences as GK coach?

I know, SP was one of the higher earners and we want someone half the price...

I wonder whether we offered SP just a couple of days say? That seems to be what Liverpool are doing with him because he said he wanted to play competitively still.

Makes no sense otherwise..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    On the face of it what was the point in getting rid of SP just to replace him with someone similar and maybe less experiences as GK coach?

I know, SP was one of the higher earners and we want someone half the price...

I wonder whether we offered SP just a couple of days say? That seems to be what Liverpool are doing with him because he said he wanted to play competitively still.

Makes no sense otherwise..
    Actually the reason given for Steve Phillip's departure is because, due to nagging injuries, he's no longer able to compete at the League 1 level and, therefore, unable to challenge Ben for the #1 shirt.

This is evidenced by interest in Conference Premier clubs, since his release.

I really don't understand why some on here ar obviously still confused/bitter about Steve Phillips being released?

We have decided to go with a 2nd goalkeeper who can push Ben as number 1 and coach.

Steve could obviously do the job as coach and sit on the bench, but he wasn't physically in a position to challenge as number 1 in league 1. Why all the confusion? Let it go!!!

Steve was a great servant to the Alex and it looks as though he will still engage with the club as part of his fundraising. Do you think he'd be doing that if there was any bad blood? He's off to further his coach development at a premier league club and it looks as though he will get a decent conference club.

It looks as though we're about to bring in someone who can do the same job as Steve and challenge Ben... and we may cut the wage bill a little as well as part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Dean_Ashton
    I really don't understand why some on here ar obviously still confused/bitter about Steve Phillips being released?

I'm a big fan of SP - and not just because we both hail from God's own county!
    I just wasn't aware until this announcement how much of a groundswell there was locally. Pleased to see it though, fully merited.

I agree let it go. The decision is made. We move on. If Scott Shearer is seen as the replacement, I'd be happy with that.

I'd just love to hear from SP himself whether he is as knackered as some seem to suggest. Even at 36, he's a fit guy, and being a keeper, 36 is not necessarily over the hill. I just have this nagging feeling he thinks he could still do the job - unless I've missed him saying otherwise ...??

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe

I'm a big fan of SP - and not just because we both hail from God's own county!
    I just wasn't aware until this announcement how much of a groundswell there was locally. Pleased to see it though, fully merited.

I agree let it go. The decision is made. We move on. If Scott Shearer is seen as the replacement, I'd be happy with that.

I'd just love to hear from SP himself whether he is as knackered as some seem to suggest. Even at 36, he's a fit guy, and being a keeper, 36 is not necessarily over the hill. I just have this nagging feeling he thinks he could still do the job - unless I've missed him saying otherwise ...??[/quote]

I agree Somerset - I'm a big fan of Phillips (but he's West Country not Derbyshire X-D ).
    I also think I understand why he has not co

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    News in the Sentinel today, suggests that the Alex are eying up former Rotherham keeper, 33 year old Scott Shearer as a replacement for the departed Steve Phillips.
    Be careful Mick!!!

I have been informed that my quotes from the Sentinel are against copyright law and you will have noticed that I have not added any such reports now for months. alexmick May10 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Downer
    Be careful Mick!!!

I have been informed that my quotes from the Sentinel are against copyright law and you will have noticed that I have not added any such reports now for months. alexmick May10 2014[/quote]

That is why I now never copy & paste the reports from the paper. I have paraphrased it. I am amazed that you are keeping tabs on me, Downer. You are obviously a good detective.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast