+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Slow on the uptake?

re: Slow on the uptake?

Shrews have now signed 8.

Quote Originally Posted by NEVTHEDEV
    And?

Of course much success with home-grown and non-home-grown academy players, that goes without saying, so let's just put that to one side for now.

Historically our best signings have been gambling on the odd lower/non-league gem on his way up in his career who didn't really command much/any fee.

It's a small gamble as it's not 100% guaranteed. For every Jones/Varney, there will always be a Sarcevic/Suhaj. For some reason or another it doesn't work for everyone. It could be man-management style, player attitude or whatever, but the point is it's a gamble we can afford to take at 10k a pop.

We can't afford to take those gambles at 100k or 250k a pop and our track record of signing established players is sketchy at best.

I'd rather see us go for 5 non-leaguers where we can turn one into a gem and let the other 4 go than risk buying a player that we can't afford to have to let go if it doesn't work.

There is nothing fundamentally broken at Crewe. Quite the reverse. Sure, it's not perfec

Quote Originally Posted by One_Dean_Ashton
    And?[/quote]
    AND can`t one make a comment on here,so some smart arse,can think he his far superior. :/

They needed to, only had 8 professionals signed before the 8 signings.

Quote Originally Posted by NEVTHEDEV
    And?[/quote]
    AND can`t one make a comment on here,so some smart arse,can think he his far superior. :/[/quote]

My question was... Why the comparison with Shrewsbury? Would you like us to be more like them? Would you like us to sign 8 too?

Sorry if I was a little short, but I don't understand the obsession with Shrewsbury's affairs.

We rushed into making signings last year. I'm glad that we've learnt out lesson and are making sure that we get the right ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Crewe1946
    They needed to, only had 8 professionals signed before the 8 signings.

Not only that, they were relegated.
    So with that and a new manager with new ideas, their squad needed an overhaul - they were clearly not good enough!
    We were ok - ok, only just - but no overhaul required here, just our own natural progression - within our own model, our own ethos!
    (lights the fuse ... and quietly walks away )

Anybody fancy swapping our last 30 years with Rochdale's...?

No, thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfakir
    Anybody fancy swapping our last 30 years with Rochdale's...?

... or Walsall, Crawley, Oldham, Colchester, Gillingham, Coventry, Port Vale, Notts County, Tranmere, Carlisle, Shrewsbury, Stevenage, Chesterfield, S****horpe, Southend, Man Utd, Burton, York, Oxford Utd, Dag & Red, Plymouth, Mansfield, Stockport, Wrexham, Chester, Grimsby, Aldeshot, Lincoln, Bury, Newport, Accrington, Exeter, Cheltenham, Morecambe, Hartlepool, Wimbledon, Northampton, Wycombe, Bristol Rovers, Torquay ... ...??

The posts regarding supporting Rochdale and then a load of other clubs is rather missing the point and again is posted as argumentative rather than constructive and probably why they are locked.

Why do you think that fans support all these teams you mention? Why support Rochdale when ManUtd are just up the road? Of course many Crewe folk do support these PL clubs rather than their local team and thus the clue is in there for anyone not to realize the flaw in that argument.

I supported the Alex when they were rock bottom and loved going to away games at Southport and Wrexham and don't you think those dsys were not as enjoyable as playing in the Championship? Beating Chelsea away was fabulous as well.

My point if its not been lost is that maybe its difficult for some fans to support a team in L2 year in year out near the bottom but many do and I am proud and admire those fans more than anyone supporting any PL club.

Fatfakir and I go back a long time on these forums and not sure he

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast