+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell to Byron then

Farewell to Byron then

Looks like it's done and dusted. But that comes as no surprise to people who visit this Board; and neither does the fact that he's probably signed with Vale.

Perhaps: 1. he wanted to stay local; 2. he does not fancy his chances with a big, financially well-managed and well-run club; or 3. he doesn't think he's good enough for the next division up. None of those reasons are particularly well thought out. But hey-ho, maybe he'll look as lacklustre when we meet his in opposition as he did for so much of most games with us. :-D

I'll miss his sparks of brilliance and energy.

re: Farewell to Byron then

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    Looks like it's done and dusted. But that comes as no surprise to people who visit this Board; and neither does the fact that he's probably signed with Vale.

Perhaps: 1. he wanted to stay local; 2. he does not fancy his chances with a big, financially well-managed and well-run club; or 3. he doesn't think he's good enough for the next division up. None of those reasons are particularly well thought out. But hey-ho, maybe he'll look as lacklustre when we meet his in opposition as he did for so much of most games with us. :-D

I'll miss his sparks of brilliance and energy.
    A good servant for the club with nearly 300 appearances for the Alex.

Vale bound? More than likely that Jennison Myrie-Williams looks set for a move to Scunny.

I can't say I agree with the slightly passive-aggressive tone in the first post, but that's by the by.

Byron has done more than most at Crewe, yes he was inconsistent but to play nearly 300 times and be part of some amazing times for the club are testament to him. It's easy to forget that he's been one of the only natural wingers we've had and has been relied upon (and made a scapegoat for) a lot more than some other players have been.

Although we do now have more options in his role, he will definitely be missed and it's the right time for him to go now while we all still have relatively positive opinions of him - especially from the great day on May 27th 2012.

Farewell and good luck Byron, just try not to take it out on us when we come up against you!

I actually agree with A.L.Byron has been ok but am sure he can do better.The C.A.team is getting weaker by the week Have we sign anyone yet? good sellers poor buyers!but whats New!

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS
    I can't say I agree with the slightly passive-aggressive tone in the first post, but that's by the by.
    I've been a big fan of Byron's in the past, but he's gone, and he's gone down the road to our biggest rivals. It's a sideways move, I believe. His choice. I don't wish him ill, but his attitude has, occasionally, been found wanting on the pitch.

COYRs

Byron is a legend if only for being one of the five players most of us have seen score a Wembley (so go easy on Max, he too...).

The 2012 final was one of his best games. After Goulding had hit the bar and Cheltski were beginning to look very strong, he was always available on the right wing for that out ball, and held it up well.

The "number 7" position is a difficult one to fill, and we've had enough players since the sublime Platty who have blown hot and cold: Rodders, Jermaine (for some of his time), Steve Jones, etc., etc. Moore did no worse than most. And the players of that number 7 ilk, like McGlashan, Myrie-Williams, Taylor-Fletcher, Ebanks-Blake (a lot of them have double-barrelleds, do we want Bell-Baggie?) tend to wear out their welcome to a team after two, three years. On that basis, Byron's quite a survivor.

Looking to the future, is that Johnson lad from Leek going to be allowed to step up? I mean, have we even properly signed him? I know that West was a disappoi

Potentially we are starting the 2014/15 season with one of the most exciting squads of recent years.
    The Academy graduates/signings are, from what I have fleetingly seen, real potential with vision, speed, skill and, in some cases, physical presence.
    I am sure SD and his team will fill any gaps through loans or signings before mid August.

I feel remarkably positive for a season of exhilarating football: some losses, more wins, and a few draws. Let's get behind the 'new' Alex.

I hope we don't lose the obvious though?

Vale have been in Admin TWICE in recent years and are supposed to be still losing tens if not hundreds of thousands per year and yet once again we see players like Moore getting substantially more pay than we can offer players.

I dunno but something is radically wrong either with their model or ours? Or both?

Being one of only a few clubs in the whole league that can pay its way year on year may be very commendable but somehow that seems lost on all those fans that seem to not to care about numbers in the accounts like we do..

We really should not be losing players to teams around us and in lower leagues when we have so much income from transfer fees that they didn't.

That is very difficult to understand surely UNLESS you are an accountant of course. What must be obvious as well is that most directors at all these loss making clubs which is probably 90% of the 96 league clubs are putting money IN to support their club year on year and so

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB

You damn well know the answer!
    Our Directors are not Sugar Daddies, and by-and-large they are Alex fans first and foremost. I want a Board that protects our standards, our ethos, and our future.
    I do NOT want admin or liquidation.

Two of our Directors are among the most respected people in English football. They didn't get and hold that reputation by throwing money they haven't got into a club for a short-term 'fun' venture.

Byron showed no loyalty here, he seemed set to go every season and like many here blew hot and cold!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast