+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that 'take you back' to your childhood summers ...

Things that 'take you back' to your childhood summers ...

I saw this written about elsewhere, so thought I'd ask the question here.

So, what things 'take you back' to your childhood summers. Can be anything at all - sights, sounds, taste, smell, physical items ...

For me, the smell of Ambre Solaire, sandy sandwiches, and 99 Flake ice creams.

Any more?

re: Things that 'take you back' to your childhood summers ...

I usually find an old police box that I have in my back garden, that I like to call The Tardis, does the trick

Agree with all three of your choices though I haven't eater a SANDwich in years. Holidaying anywhere beach related in the UK takes me right back to stuff like endless cricket on the beach, windbreaks, sandcastles, the penny falls arcades, crazy golf, burying someone in sand, and finding shelter against the persistent rain.

Happy days.

card games

canasta, 500, rummy

The smell of the ocean,rain on a parched land,freshly mown grass,Flies,aeroguard,bait,
    cricket,warm balmy nights,mr whippy ice cream van,drive in movies,thunderstorms at the end of a stinking hot day.

Certain songs like any Joe Walsh song from the album Just Seriously Folks. My Mom driving me from Wales at the end of the hols with the top down on the car the music cutting out under each bridge even on the tape deck.

Other certain songs will transport me back to Port Eynon on the Gower Coast.

Bacon sandwiches will put me on the road to Wales. We always started out early and stopped halfway there to eat bacon or sausage sarnies with that flask coffee that is better than anything Starbucks could ever dream up.

I think I only had one holiday that wasn't in Wales

watching kids play cricket.

plenty of day to night matches when I was growing up in the summer.

Nice.

Staring into rock pools,climbing a tree too high,tying my fishing rod to the bike, sand pits and tonka toys,hide and seek,swimming pools and wrinkle fingers,sunburn and tans,coconut oil, terry toweling hats with beer bellies.

Mmmm quite a few so far that take me back too ...

Also made me think of scent of ripe tomatoes in greenhouse, picking and eating peas straight out of pods, rockpool limpets, slippery seaweed and grazed knees, sand stuck to sun cream, bicycle puncture repairs, listening to sound of 'the sea' in empty shells ...

Statesey. Lovely place to holiday. Rhosilli and Three Cliffs Bay around the corner are my favourite Welsh beaches ...

Fishing on the River Severn at Stourport, then jumping off the bridge by the fair into the river with my mates !

Quote Originally Posted by stateside
    Certain songs like any Joe Walsh song from the album Just Seriously Folks. My Mom driving me from Wales at the end of the hols with the top down on the car the music cutting out under each bridge even on the tape deck.

Other certain songs will transport me back to Port Eynon on the Gower Coast.

Bacon sandwiches will put me on the road to Wales. We always started out early and stopped halfway there to eat bacon or sausage sarnies with that flask coffee that is better than anything Starbucks could ever dream up.

I think I only had one holiday that wasn't in Wales

Statesy, Thats mad! I had several very, very happy hols down in Port Eynon circa 76 when I was 12. Fantastic memories! Can't remember the but it was a static caravan site.

Remember the local pub was the ship but was too young to get in there, and not really interested, though I do remember drinking a few Double Diamonds, Long Lifes and Breakers (yuck!) fro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)