+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Recommended DVDs now that the partty in Rio is over

Recommended DVDs now that the partty in Rio is over

If, like me, you never had any interest in the 2014 World Cup in the first place OR if you're stuck for something to watch now that England are not unexpectedly heading straight home, may I recommend the following DVDs that will hopefully amuse and entertain in equal measure.

They are all available to rent from libraries for a mere one pound a week and if you missed them first time around at the cinema then you are (fingers crossed) in for a treat.

They are as follows:

HAPPINESS by Todd Solondz

CHASING AMY by Kevin Smith

and if you're into hilarious tragi-comic documentaries:

MAYOR OF THE SUNSET STRIP by George Hickenlooper, a film about Rodney Bingenheimer, an LA radio DJ famed for promoting numerous iconic bands across the USA

and

CRUMB by Terry Zwigoff, a film about the life and times of Robert Crumb, the celebrated USA underground cartoonist.

WHAT? No, Withnail and I, Pulp Fiction or Play It Again, Sam? Three great films but I'm assuming people have seen them plenty

re: Recommended DVDs now that the partty in Rio is over

Plato: "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something." Feel free to pass this advice on to IBS and Kempo.

No Dvd's required, just keep watching the World Cup.
    England results aside, i think it's been one of the most entertaining I can remember for quite a few years.
    Loving it, and off the top of my head I can only recall 2 games so far that haven't lived up to any sort of expectations.
    No preference as to who wins now, I just want it to carry on entertaining me.

Zippy, your loyalty to the beautiful game hasn't, and never will be in doubt. I hope you continue to get maximum satisfaction out of the remaining games.

Monty, I passed on your wise words to Kempo and IBS and all three of us will be studying Plato's "Republic" at the earliest possible date. If you have a more extensive reading list to pass on to us, we will be continually in your debt.

Who needs frivolous DVDs when our time would be much better served learning at your slippered feet?

The Intouchables - Poignant and funny French film about a small time criminal being given the job of caring for a paraplegic (I never usually watch films with subtitles but believe me this one is well worth the effort)

The Way - Martin Sheen makes a pilgrimage along 'El Camino De Santiago". Made me want to do the walk.

Last night watched De Lovely - biopic of Cole Porter's life - topical considering the recent post on lyricists. Kevin Kline surprisingly good in the role and some nice vignettes of 'stars' performing Porter's songs.

"I was Monty's Double". Story about an attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of genuine posters by the use of false identities

[quote="Deepmidwinter". Story about an attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of genuine posters by the use of false identities[/quote]

Released in the US under the title "The Demons of Ludlow"

Lesbians from Mars.
    The story of an illfated space mission crashlanding on Mars, only to find a futuristic city inhabited only by ladies in leather lingerie.
    Not many films I'd watch more than a couple of times but this is one.

Mike Bassett England Manager.

Escape to Victory.

Mean Machine.

Yeah people don't watch DVDs anymore Granddad, they stream them on Netflix and Blinkbox and that.