+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Academies are the worst thing?

re: Academies are the worst thing?

Know any good chess players who aren't Russian? [/quote]

Anand Indian, world champ from 2007 to 2013
    Carlsen, Norwegian, current world champ.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    While I'm on this subject. WTF chose a 70 year old guy to manage the England team FFS?

What passion and body language can he show to gee the players up Mourhino style?

I think Harry Rednapp would have been a far better choice but the ancient pen pushers at the FA wanted a so called safe pair of hands and gave it to the West Brom Manager at the lower end of the PL for 4 million quid a year..

We really did get what we deserved folks.

No idea, no passion, no zip and no results. I could have told you so...

And few flags flying this year too?

Roy Hodgson is 66, Mike. Harry Redknapp is 67.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULCAFC
    To have ever happened to English football? Heard this on Radio 5 Live recently, think it was Hoddle who said it but can't be sure, in the light of England's exit from the WC things are being said that basically academies bring in young players at ages 8 or so and most of them believe they are going to be or are already destined for stardom at a big club, they become pampered esp by parents and clubs and don't really have to work at it which eventually leads to a cosy wealthy life when they get to an age later, anyone agree or disagree? Could the same thing be levelled at our own Max Clayton?
    It was Chris Waddle, Paul. Hoddle & Waddle may have sung together but I don't think they sing from the same sheet on this issue.

Waddle shows a lot of passion on 5Live radio, and comes up with some soundbites, and rants which the station happily replays to fan the flames; it makes their job easier.

He's full of contradictions though. I heard

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof
    While I'm on this subject. WTF chose a 70 year old guy to manage the England team FFS?

What passion and body language can he show to gee the players up Mourhino style?

I think Harry Rednapp would have been a far better choice but the ancient pen pushers at the FA wanted a so called safe pair of hands and gave it to the West Brom Manager at the lower end of the PL for 4 million quid a year..

We really did get what we deserved folks.

No idea, no passion, no zip and no results. I could have told you so...

And few flags flying this year too?

Roy Hodgson is 66, Mike. Harry Redknapp is 67.[/quote]

Hi Derek,

Well as near as damn it to that age mate!

Yes I know Rednapp was a similar age group to Hodgson but completely different in body language and panash and why at the time almost everyone thought Rednapp should have gotten the job but its suggested that Trevor Brooking didn't

Roy Hodgson is 66, Mike. Harry Redknapp is 67.[/quote]

Hi Derek,

Well as near as damn it to that age mate!

Yes I know Rednapp was a similar age group to Hodgson but completely different in body language and panash and why at the time almost everyone thought Rednapp should have gotten the job but its suggested that Trevor Brooking didn't want him based on some bad blood in the past. Brooking has been around football a very long time and one would think he would have some idea why we can't match the Continentals and South Americans? I bet Hodgson couldn't believe it when he was approached?[/quote]

Not sure that everyone wanted Harry. He wouldn't be able to buy any players to improve an England team would he? I think too much is made of touchline body language, and in any case he spends most of his time sitting back discussing things with Joe Jordan and Kevin Bond. Between them they've a decent record with Portsmouth and Tottenham, but it's a completely different matter, internat

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof
    Roy Hodgson is 66, Mike. Harry Redknapp is 67.

What was actually said on Radio 5 was that premiership rules state that all academies must have kids in every year group and no mixed ages. So from say 6 there must be 20 odd kids for every year. No wonder there is so much churn.

About Harry Rednap for England, the other day he said that when at Spurs players came to him asking them to get them out of playing for England. In one sentence he's managed to cast a slur over about a dozen players. Diplomacy, so ***** for England managers job is not Harry's strong point. Exactly why Brian Clough could never have been the national manager.

Glenn Hoddle should return as England manager soon

I mainly agree with your sentence but would add 'not' between 'should' and 'return'.

Replacing 'soon' with 'ever' would further improve it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12