+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T New drink drive legislation in Scotland..is it good?

O/T New drink drive legislation in Scotland..is it good?

Apologies if this has been covered already...

Drivers who cross the border from England to Scotland after drinking a pint of beer or a glass of wine could soon end up in jail.

Ministers north of the border have approved a stricter drink-drive limit - lowering the legal level of alcohol from 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (the legal limit in England and Wales) to 50mg.

The new law means some people will be over the limit after drinking just one pint of strong lager or a glass of wine...

Would this work in England?

re: O/T New drink drive legislation in Scotland..is it good?

I'd like to think so

No different to when you are in the US and cross state lines Brin where the legal limits vary.

I think the limit is fine where it stands however we could adopt the dutch system where if your involved in an incident your charged with impaired driving

Why can't drivers accept that driving after consuming alcohol is simply wrong and stupid?..and that any attempts to set 'safe limits' are merely invitations to abuse and confusion.

The campaign "Don't drink & drive" is a simple lie...presently you can do so, quite legally, upto a preset limit, which affects individuals quite differently. A small youth who rarely drinks and a huge builder who can handle 15 pints, at say 30mg of alcohol in their breath, will display so much difference in reaction times & concentration levels..that the whole concept of a 'permitted level' is reduced to that of a farce.

I can think of many things to do after drinking alcohol...driving is not one of them.

Our roads will be a lot safer and there will be less family tragedies, loss and grief when the 'permitted level' is reduced to 0 (Zero)

That..and removing pedal cyclists from the roads.

Is it good was the question - of course it is good.

Sober drivers will make it much safer for the many millions who take up cycling as the Tour legacy

I think I wrongly phrased my point...what I meant to say was is it fair as in lowering the level..or is the current English level satisfactory?

Ludlow makes a very valid point that it should be zero...
    Sweden have this law and their vehicle fatality rate is one of the lowest in the world...just think how many ££££'s would be raised in fines and less cars on the road as some idiots would gamble a risk to drink and drive ...

Which idiot would risk losing their job because of a DUI charge?
    And before anyone gets on the defensive about having a social drink the night before answer is don't..my mates a bus driver and he doesn't drink at all the night before if he's working the next day as they randomly select on the spot checks using a machine to check alcohol levels before they start their shifts which is a good thing imo...

Then it's a good job Walt, that you deny any legacy.

I agree about the 0mg tolerance across the board, here in WA it's 0mg for anyone under the age of 25.

Interestingly, a recent study shows that texting and driving is equivalent to driving impaired with a 1.9mg level of alcohol in the blood so I'm glad we are starting to see more nonacceptance of that trend.

Gunna be a nice little earner up here, most people have McEwan's on their cereal