+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed format change for 2014/15 season

Proposed format change for 2014/15 season

Another season is almost upon us and after 4-5 years of the current format I'm thinking of simplifying things for me and you. Here's what I'm thinking:-

Only predicting on RUFC games - Score, Goal Scorer (from either team), Attendance

2pts for getting the result correct or if you get the score correct 5pts + 1pt per goal (as before)
    3pts for each goal your scorer gets but only 1pt for a penalty (as before)
    Attendence 2pts if within +/-250 plus 3 bounus points for the closest guess overall.

There will be 46 weeks of predicting, 1 for each league game.

Here's the major change, at 3 points in the season (after 12, 24 and 36 games) the bottom 25% will be eliminated and the scores for those remaining reset to 0.

Thoughts anyone - or volunteers to take over the old format!

re: Proposed format change for 2014/15 season

I enjoy the present format but appreciate that it must be a lot of work to administer. Whatever the format for the coming season I will still do it. Just one observation though with the current set up it was possible to miss weeks i.e. for holidays. So if it's all 46 league games will you be able to predict in advance to cover whilst away?

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y
    I enjoy the present format but appreciate that it must be a lot of work to administer. Whatever the format for the coming season I will still do it. Just one observation though with the current set up it was possible to miss weeks i.e. for holidays. So if it's all 46 league games will you be able to predict in advance to cover whilst away?
    Thanks pip.

I just wish there was a way of keeping the current format and preventing people dropping out after 35 weeks simply because they get fed up/can't win. That's a lot of time spent entering their predictions, working out league positions etc even though I do have most of it automated to some extent. I do however realise that that there's no prize on offer and things do come up in people's lives so it's their prerogative.

The new way is just a suggestion for now, a way of cutting out stragglers while trying to keep interest up for those left and yes the threads to predict on could be put up

would it be possible to run them side by side for a season? as you say the prediction league is mostly automated, I know it'd be extra work in the short term, but if everyone thought your ideas were sound the following seasons would be less

Scores shouldn't be reset to 0. Somebody could win the first 3 sections and then just lose the last. Scores should be cumulative.

Cram - I'm trying to save time not spend more so running them side by side wouldn't be a viable option for me.

TheGimpPimp - I understand your point. The suggestion to reset was to try and keep interest alive because historically, once we get past Christmas people start jacking it in because they are far enough behind to not be able to realistically win. Unfortunately I can't offer cash incentives or a place in Europe next season to keep their interests alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimpPimp
    Scores shouldn't be reset to 0. Somebody could win the first 3 sections and then just lose the last. Scores should be cumulative.

Yes, I was thinking the same, it just wouldn't be fair!

I would definitely prefer the tried and tested way that we've all become accustomed to over the years CAMiller, but at the end of the day, it's you who has to sort it all out, so I would just "go with the flow"!

We need more feedback from those who've been playing regularly!

I've played the last four years an kinda like the format, agree must be hard work totting up the tallys each week though.

So on that view, rather it stayed but easy any road as am tosh!

I really like the existing format, but will change if we must.

The one thing I really don't like around your suggestion CA, is predicting the bl00dy attendance - this has sod all to do with the football itself and that ought to be what we are really being tested on - do I care if I am 500 out with the attendance if I predict a 4-1 win right, do I heck.

Up to you mate.

Anyway we can share the burden a bit by taking it in turns with the Admin...does your spreadsheet come with an idiots guide for Brin?? :-p

The other thing about people being eliminated, especially at cull one, is that they may well be less inclind to come back the following year and it may be the start of the death knell...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast