+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT/ I'm just off driving through France - HELP

OT/ I'm just off driving through France - HELP

This morning, in a spur of the moment thing I packed the motorhome and headed for Dover. The ferry is in the morning to France and Im heading for bordeuax(ish-perhaps maybe) More importantly I have no idea about driving in France.

Im looking for some useful insights into the Dos and Donts

its exciting being impulsive but in serious need of some guidance.

re: OT/ I'm just off driving through France - HELP

1 Avoid Paris
    2 If you are using satnav make sure that it knows that you are driving on the right. A couple of biker mates of mine got off the ferry, got to a mini roundabout, one went left and one went right. One took the first exit, the other took the third.
    3 If in doubt wave you arms about while shouting "Zut alors", which doesn't really translate into English, but the nearest is wtf.

Geetarman

Thats just the kind of advice I need and already you have doubled my french vocabulary.

Cheers mate

We've drove through Paris many times, its a great experience, you can almost drive under the Eiffel tower and the arc de triomphe is fun, don't stay in a motorway service station overnight (aire's), there are plenty of municipal (council) aires in towns and villages, my advice is if you've got lots of time avoid motorways and toll roads and hit the back roads, there are some great little villages, municipal aires are usually around 6 euro per night,
    If you have time search google for French aires and download the POI to sat nav

Thanks S20 thats exactly what Ill will do. much appreciated

With some great wines for not many Francs.

Sorry, Euros.

frenchaires.com/ - view external link

Quote Originally Posted by s20reds
    frenchaires.com/
    I accidentally googled French hairs. My god do these women know nothing about personal grooming. Give me a Brazilian any day. So my advice if you are traveling without Mrs Zouch in tow then take a battery powered razor with trimming accessories if you want to see the forest for the trees

Make sure you have a breathalyser its the law in France to have one

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm
    Make sure you have a breathalyser its the law in France to have one
    If you're unfortunate enough to get stopped and they ask you to use a breathalyser and you don't have one the worse thing they'll do is charge you 11 euros.

2 hi-viz if you have a passenger is a must along with a triangle and a full set of replacement bulbs is helpful.

Watchout for the speed cameras as each and everyone has a camera in them. The new ones are round and about 8 feet tall. NONE of them are painted yellow as they are in the UK. They are a dark greeny colour with a couple of none reflective yellow and white tape strips on them. They are all proceeded by a massive road security sign.
    They also now have average speed cameras up and down the motorways.

Enjoy your trip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast