+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Latest trialist

Latest trialist

Was trying to get some stats for the lad as his 1 sub appearance for Sours and 4 for D & R were goalless
    Found the link below - does not fill me with any real optimism tbh - view external link

re: Latest trialist

After much trawling looks like he scored 2 for their u21 academy last season - obviously in between injuries as his appearances were sporadic.
    See link below - view external link

After last season, the forename "Cameron" is not one to set the pulses racing.

We really do seem to be nickel-and-diming it once again.

And what disturbs me now is that Steve is saying that he'll wait until mid-August if he has to.

The Alex pre-season used to be mandatory for players who wished to have any chance. Madjid was forced to undergo a re-education in our defensive ways (I ask you!) before being trusted to play, as we slid towards relegation. Who's to say that anybody who eventually lowers his sights and signs for the Alex will be immediately good to go?

This is either muddled thinking or represents a sea-change in previous policy.

[quote="VindePays2009" is not one to set the pulses racing.

We really do seem to be nickel-and-diming it once again.

And what disturbs me now is that Steve is saying that he'll wait until mid-August if he has to.

The Alex pre-season used to be mandatory for players who wished to have any chance. Madjid was forced to undergo a re-education in our defensive ways (I ask you!) before being trusted to play, as we slid towards relegation. Who's to say that anybody who eventually lowers his sights and signs for the Alex will be immediately good to go?

This is either muddled thinking or represents a sea-change in previous policy.[/quote]

All good points - in that I agree with them, so they must be good X-D.

Reading between the lines of the messages coming out of Gresty Road I fear that we have given up on reinforcing the defence and midfield (where acclimatisation to the 'Alex way' is definitely a requirement), but we

I think the feeling is that we have enough defenders (rightly or wrongly)
    We let too many in last season but at the same time scoring was also bad so perhaps a forward who can take the pressure off the defence ?

Latest one is Balanta, who has been without a club since his release from QPR in 2013. As has been mentioned on the other thread, Angelo Balanta scored for the Alex against Rochester last night and is staying with us for the rest of the week. SD says:

"But there is a reason a talented boy is without a club and whilst he's is here we will hopefully find that out, positive or negative."

Davis confirmed the club has ended their interest in former Wolves winger Jonny Gorman.

Meanwhile, James Jones has been called up by Scotland for their next under 19 international against Belgium.

That 'number 7' position (inasmuch as numbers mean anything these days) is proving deuced difficult to fill.

Tricky wingers blow hot and cold, whether they're called Bell-Baggie, Myrie-Williams or McGlashan. They have a short shelf line before being unloaded somewhere else.

It's amazing, under these circumstances, that Byron stayed the course for so long. Okay, he was a Marmite player, but he's left a gap that's hard to fill.

So far we seem to have trialled a lad from Everton, E.O., a player called Ibra, Gorman and now Balanta. Of course there's Johnson, the tricky winger from Leek, but it must have been made clear to him that he will probably now not make the breakthrough.

Will we ever find this player, or would a re-deployed Cooper do? Yada yada, he's young and whatever, but if all these trialists are not better than what we have...?

I don't want to see a situation where we are bringing players that are not good enough, just so we can have some new faces or competition for places. We have given contracts to 6 lads from the youth team and whilst they are young players who have a lot to learn, they are also very talented footballers. So do you give a couple of these players there chance to impress or do you find an experienced player who is ready to go straight into the first team, obviously finding these players is proving difficult, but if these young lads are good enough then they are old enough. A couple might be ready to bridge that gap and that might be ***** to the coming campaign if these new players don't become available.

What`s happened to Hiwula then?