+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Barnsley litmus test

The Barnsley litmus test

News of SD's new signings could be better: a goalie posted missing for Rooney's strike and a midfielder who celebrates his signing by turning in a mediocre performance soon afterwards (though it was bigged up by the OS).

The true test of what we have, or haven't, done over the close season won't be long in coming, given that we have two consecutive games against Barnsley .

The team that have signed seven, including Bails, Ross Turnbull and the one that got away (how, when he'd scored a few for us this time last year?: Sam Winnall).

So, after three games of the new season, we're likely to be out of the League Cup, and bottom of the division.

The possible addition to our ranks of Ibra, scorer of ONE goal in senior football, can hardly have us salivating.

C'mon, Steve, we need better than such players!

re: The Barnsley litmus test

Doomed we are, thrice doomed.(Frankie Howard?)

NAY, NAY and THRICE NAY! (Frankie Howard)

Ye may titter, titter ye may, but I think we will be OK because we are going with what we have got! It has worked before and will work again.

Quote Originally Posted by VindePays2009
    The team that have signed seven, including Bails, Ross Turnbull and the one that got away (how, when he'd scored a few for us this time last year?: Sam Winnall).

Ok, James Bailey - was he really one of our high-fliers who we'd be desperate to see come back? I don't think so, not based on how his career has panned out. He was never a stand out in my opinion anyway. What Derby saw in him I'm not sure.

Ross Turnbull - did he impress anyone on here when he was with us? Not me!

Sam Winnall - a League 2 striker trying his luck in League 1 - hardly one "that got away", not just yet!
    I remember many saying the same about Stuart Fleetwood - we got off lightly there - as Charlton found out to their cost - now plying his trade ... at Eastleigh!
    One good season a Summer doth not make!

"UP ALEX" Salute.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe

Ok, James Bailey - was he really one of our high-fliers who we'd be desperate to see come back? I don't think so, not based on how his career has panned out. He was never a stand out in my opinion anyway. What Derby saw in him I'm not sure.

Ross Turnbull - did he impress anyone on here when he was with us? Not me!

Sam Winnall - a League 2 striker trying his luck in League 1 - hardly one "that got away", not just yet!
    I remember many saying the same about Stuart Fleetwood - we got off lightly there - as Charlton found out to their cost - now plying his trade ... at Eastleigh!
    One good season a Summer doth not make! [/quote]

Agree generally but a bit unfair to label Winnall who is a young lad released by Wolves

You will probably get battered against these.

You've got your friendly neighbours THE VALE coming to your gaff early next season as well .

You need signings. And quickly!

Our record against Vale is very good in recent years regardless of our team line up, not as good as against Preston though!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULCAFC
    Our record against Vale is very good in recent years regardless of our team line up, not as good as against Preston though!
    It is tbf to you, however I think we did well to hold our own against you when you had the likes of Brayford, Westwood, Powell, Donaldson, Murphy etc. Although I would say it's roughly 50-50 in the last few seasons as we've beaten you a good few times as well

When you beat us last season you were fighting for your lives and it was a dead rubber for us. We be at you comfortably at Gresty last season when I was a "live" game for us.

Don't understand why you guys aren't making more signings, time is running out now and your side looks quite weak compared to ours IMO.