+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 years on..

20 years on..

did we win it, or did utd throw it away..?

re: 20 years on..

Fishing for dingles again saxo?
    The answer is pretty simple it's in the history books 94/95 premier league champions Blackburn rovers
    There is nothing more you need to know.

to me, i`ve always enjoyed our league cup win more. nobody could deny us it by claiming we bought it(with youth products like duff and dunn in our team), or any other team threw it away..

just sayin`..

Quote Originally Posted by jordan12rhodes
    to me, i`ve always enjoyed our league cup win more. nobody could deny us it by claiming we bought it(with youth products like duff and dunn in our team), or any other team threw it away..

just sayin`..

We paid a fortune for Jansen. 4.5m . I loved him, and it was money well spent, but still. The other scorer in that league cup win, was Andy Cole. Multiple title winner, whom we spent 7m on. Yes we had a few home grown players in our side, but we where still spending lots of money back then. That win was no different to the title. Only the title was earnt playing 34 games (back then) not 5 by winning a cup. We had just finished runners up the season before, in which United nearly did blow it, as we clawed back a 16 point gap, catching them up the day Shearer scored 2 at a half renovated Ewood. The season we won it, we lead almost all of it.

Absolute *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95

just sayin`..

We paid a fortune for Jansen. 4.5m . I loved him, and it was money well spent, but still. The other scorer in that league cup win, was Andy Cole. Multiple title winner, whom we spent 7m on. Yes we had a few home grown players in our side, but we where still spending lots of money back then. That win was no different to the title. Only the title was earnt playing 34 games (back then) not 5 by winning a cup. We had just finished runners up the season before, in which United nearly did blow it, as we clawed back a 16 point gap, catching them up the day Shearer scored 2 at a half renovated Ewood. The season we won it, we lead almost all of it.

Absolute *******s.[/quote]

by that t

We had only come back up after promotion the season before. And we where rebuilding. I don't believe they where paying miles more in wages, maybe something similar. They had Sherwood in midfield I know that and he was out played by Mark Hughes who was superb that day in centre mid. Yes it was a shock in some respects. But you don't fluke 34 games. Whereas you can have an off day in a cup final.

Spurs line up that day..

GK Neil Sullivan
    RB Mauricio Taricco
    CB Chris Perry
    CB Ledley King
    LB Ben Thatcher
    RM Darren Anderton
    CM Tim Sherwood
    CM Gustavo Poyet
    LM Christian Ziege
    CF Teddy Sheringham
    CF Les Ferdinand
    Substitutes:
    GK Kasey Keller
    DF Anthony Gardner
    MF Simon Davies
    FW Serhiy Rebrov
    FW Steffen Iversen

id say that line up(inc subs) cost a lot more in fees and wages than..

GK Brad Friedel - free
    RB Martin Taylor - youth product
    CB Nils-Eric Johansson - 400,000
    CB Henning Berg (c) - free
    LB Stig Inge Bjrnebye - free
    RM Keith Gillespie - 2.5m
    CM David Dunn - youth product
    CM Mark Hughes - free
    LM Damien Duff - youth product
    CF Matt Jansen - 4m
    CF Andy Cole - 7m
    Substitutes:
    GK Alan Miller - ?
    DF John Curtis - ?
    MF Craig Hignett - 2.5?
    MF Alan Mahon - free
    FW Yordi - on loan

when you weigh in the fact spurs beat a star- studded chelsea 4-1 in the semis, and tugay/short/flitcroft(among others?) were out for us, then hence my satisfaction in winning the cup more than the leag

The Cup win was unexpected and brilliant, but the League win means far more than beating Spurs that day.

Saxo on a wind up again.

I much preferred our Full Members Cup win over any trophy we have won throughout our entire history .
    BTW , I am serious . At the time us getting to Wembley was unreal and those of us there that day , thought it was a once in a lifetime chance to see Rovers playing there .

Quote Originally Posted by needle
    I much preferred our Full Members Cup win over any trophy we have won throughout our entire history .
    BTW , I am serious . At the time us getting to Wembley was unreal and those of us there that day , thought it was a once in a lifetime chance to see Rovers playing there .
    The Full members was a amazing ..as you say to be at Wembley (in whatever competition( was something none of us neverever envisaged at the time . Fantastic day ..
    The League cup win was againn a little unexpected ..to play at the Millenium ..roof shut too and actually win ..was such a great fcking moment ..the spurs fans in our hotel all thought they d won it the day before ..and on paper we were the underdogs ..

But ..nothing can top the Premiership (yet )...a lot of clubs will have chances to win an odd cup whatever the competition ..but to win the Premiership ? ..that theres only 5 clubs to win it in over 20 odd years ..says it all ..and lil ole Blackburn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)