+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gate prices

re: Gate prices

I agree wholeheartedly about encouraging away fans. It's a wee while since I did Economics, but I do recollect that there is a very clear relationship between the price charged and the number sold; and that's apart from the issue of quality. I do wonder if any of the clubs have ever considered that 7 tickets sold at £15 brings in more than 5 sold at £20? And they'd sell more Bovril.
    Over the whole season,trips to Aberdeen, Dingwall, Dundee (2 lots) and Inverness are going to add up this year. Chuck in the usual scattering of inconvenient kick - off times, and a lot of people who, like me, would be dying to be cheering the 'Well on to the pitch, just won't be able to make some / most of them. OK, it's not life or death, but I'm feeling a wee bit cheated.

[quote="Handsome_Devil"]Scottish football has no chance of replicating the German model for various reasons.

In fairness to most clubs, they have now realised good value season tickets - particularly if you're taking kids - is a must. What I find remarkable is that absolutely no effort is made by anyone to encourage away fans.

The country is so small, and in our case we're easily accessible with a national rail station, we should be making a massive effort to fans from other clubs to come watch their team at Fir Park.

Almost everyone picks and chooses their away games these days, we should try to make sure as many as possible pick us - 15 quid a ticket, 25 quid and you can take up to four under-12s with you, assuming you buy in advance.

I'd even turn one of the under-used boxes in the South Stand into a bar if possible, or set up a bottle bar in the gym and flog them booze.

Or why not invite them to bring their own announcer with them - there's no rea

Quote Originally Posted by swmfc123
    That is definitely a very valid point about away fans. There's no question that far fewer away fans are taking up space in the South Stand and that's even from the teams with bigger supports.

Regarding prices for home matches, how would you price them for adults and kids in a way that is attractive for fans and gets more people in the ground, but is also realistic in order to make money for the club? Bear in mind that we would sell more pies, drinks, items at the club shop and programmes.

I'll start it off by saying £12 for adults and £8 for kids.

To me there is no real problems for home fans you can get a season ticket for 19 games at £290 ... That's £15 a game and there are all sorts of family deals. But even for pay at the gates punters it's 19 quid for fans to use the east stand and 23 quid for visiting fans because of the premium facilities in the south stand... What premium facilities do the bog seats have fur lined cover

The German model is widely quoted by fans wishing to see lower gate prices. Its well known for very cheap PATG prices. What isn't so widely known is the other side of the equation. The reason German clubs can afford to lower ticket prices is that they have secured a phenomenal TV & media deal - I can't recall the exact figure but you're looking at something like 650 million over 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    The German model is widely quoted by fans wishing to see lower gate prices. Its well known for very cheap PATG prices. What isn't so widely known is the other side of the equation. The reason German clubs can afford to lower ticket prices is that they have secured a phenomenal TV & media deal - I can't recall the exact figure but you're looking at something like 650 million over 5 years.
    I agree its a great TV teal but its nowt compared to SKYs deal in England. The difference is its written into the constitution of their league that a certain percentage of media money must subsidise admission...Can you imagine the greedy **** players in England agreeing to that.

Gate prices had been increasing for a while and it now seems that £21 or £22 is the norm, which is about £1 for every four minutes or so of football. Not great value indeed given so many games in our league are bang average.

We have seen some moves in recent times to encourage kids into the grounds but we need to kick on now, the creativity of that has now gone and we need to work on bringing back lapsed adults and away fans.

Every team in our league is served by a train station, why can't we try and do something similar to the Commonwealth game gig? If you got discounted train travel with your ticket, would it encourage folk to come along?

[quote="mix106"]Scottish football has no chance of replicating the German model for various reasons.

In fairness to most clubs, they have now realised good value season tickets - particularly if you're taking kids - is a must. What I find remarkable is that absolutely no effort is made by anyone to encourage away fans.

The country is so small, and in our case we're easily accessible with a national rail station, we should be making a massive effort to fans from other clubs to come watch their team at Fir Park.

Almost everyone picks and chooses their away games these days, we should try to make sure as many as possible pick us - 15 quid a ticket, 25 quid and you can take up to four under-12s with you, assuming you buy in advance.

I'd even turn one of the under-used boxes in the South Stand into a bar if possible, or set up a bottle bar in the gym and flog them booze.

Or why not invite them to bring th

Quote Originally Posted by firparkloony
    Hang oan a minute the East of Scotland Branch (based in Edinburgh ) has over 20 members and most travel to FP when a game is oan...whit aboot us and oor loyalty? Wid ye offer us a discount?
    There are also fans who travel regularly to Fir Park from even further afield. Loyal fans.

Cheaper gate prices all round would attract more home & away fans. Higher numbers would also sell more drinks, pies, programmes, merchandise etc. A smaller mark-up leads to more people through the gate and more sales leading to greater all round profit and a cheaper and better match-day experience for the fans making more return. I'm no economist but it seems like a no-brainer!

[quote="firparkloony"]Scottish football has no chance of replicating the German model for various reasons.

I'd even turn one of the under-used boxes in the South Stand into a bar if possible, or set up a bottle bar in the gym and fl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)