+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ellis question?

The Ellis question?

Why the big fuss over his supposed loss? Davis said in an interview he only played well for a quarter of a season last, he was part of a defence that shipped goals galore for most of it yet some here think he was a massive mistake to let go? I agree with SD on this one, his loss won`t be as big as some think, we needed to tighten up the defence with fresh players, we can`t concede another 80 goals this season sorry!

re: The Ellis question?

I agree with that - and SD.
    At the start of the season there were lots of fans (I was among them) calling for Ellis to be given the captaincy, based on his previous performances.
    Clearly SD knew better. Ellis - nice guy, but we need consistent passion back there. If we can stop haemorraghing goals a bit then I will be a very, very happy Railwayman.

I agree as well.
    The fact that he ended up a league below at Shrewsbury must say something.

I guess the main concern is who have we replaced him with?
    Arguably George Ray.
    Some have reservations about the lad but not me.
    He has shown a lot of promise and is now a year older. I think his time has come!

I'd have liked to see him stay, but I trust SD on this one.

Quoting SD from last night, he was at the top of our wage structure and had already taken a cut to sign for us from Torquay. On paper, he made more mistakes than most others and was a 'lucky' defender. Add in that Ray is now seemingly ready for the first team, and I don't think there was much choice but to release him unfortunately.

As for signing for Shrewsbury, I think that was only because he wanted to stay in the area to help settle down with his young family. Think he had interest from League 1 clubs but were too far away.

Can't agree with SD on this one. Ellis had really hit form last season, perhaps SD could consider the amount of crap performances by a certain lad that goes by the of Harry before slating Ellis.

Disagree with you there Oger. For me Harry D was the standout defender and leader until he was injured. Toots has grown into his role, but I'm looking forward to Harry getting back in.
    Opinions eh?

Sad to see Ellis go to be honest. Obviously his wages were an issue, although I don't agree that HD was any better than Ellis over the two year period in question (HD made his fair share of errors too). Ellis and Duggy proved a reliable partnership during that final run in that sealed our L1 status. Toots also improved as the season progressed and deserved his crown of Player of the season. The captaincy did him a power of good, whereas with Osman, it was a millstone around his neck. Ray is one who will now have to step up to the mark.

If Harry Davis hadn't been injured I'm pretty sure we'd be playing in League Two this season. After Kelvin Mellor's particular horror show last season Davis Jnr made more mistakes than any of our other players, yet he goes into this season as our strongest centre half which says a lot about the rest.

In my opinion Dugdale is the best leader which makes up for his lack of technical ability, Ellis was the better defender and I feel Ellis led better than Davis. Now I'm not saying Harry is rubbish, I'm not crying nepotism and I'm not calling for his head and for him to be sent a million miles away but it annoys me when Ellis is blamed for making too many errors by SD whereas in my opinion Harry made more. Furthermore, just when we get a defensive pairing right, what with Ellis being a key factor in our survival with his partnership with Dugdale, we give Ellis the boot. Hence why it's hard for some of us fans to accept Ellis' departure although we must do so.

And stats talk in football, h

I actually think that Harry's weakness is that he doesn't cover for his centre back partner well enough. I felt that for some goals Ellis got blamed for that actually his partner should have been helping him out.

You may not agree, but watch this season.

I liked Ellis, he was a man, he headed the ball well and put his body on the line. But I agree, for a defence that shipped so many goals something had to change. Unfortunately Ellis was out of contract so he was the one to go.

Lets hope that Ray matures into the player the Alex hope he is, rather than the buffoon (mainly off the pitch) I think he is!

Some very good points here, for and against. I'm on the fence - I rated Ellis and thought he was a real soldier, but can understand why Steve let him go.

Remember that his best form was the last few months of the season when he was playing for a new contract. Re-signing a player at the top of the wage band in a poor defence wouldn't have improved us.

Nor am I convinced that Ray is going to do that either. We desperately need to spend in that position, and soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast