+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penalties

Penalties

Another penalty missed today. New taker in Tootle. I understand when you have defenders taking penalties when they have qualities such as Baines, Irwin, Julian Dicks, but why do we have shocking penalty takers? Surely any of the attacking 3 should be able to put the ball in the back of the net with ease from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat, so why insist on using defenders? Davis and previously Smith have been our designated taker and have failed from 12 yards just as much as they were successful. This shouldn't be happening as often as it does, and I would be intrigued to know how many penalties we have had since going down from the championship, who took them and whether successful or not. Obviously a lot to ask but if anyone has this info it would be interesting to see!

re: Penalties

I've always been of the opinion that a striker ought to take the penalties. after all he should be able to convert what is a free shot from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat and he is on the goal line.
    At least Brad was a bit more successful than Toots but if the first had been scored, the result may have been different.

Before the Season started, Brad said he wants more goals this time.. agree that the front line players should take the pens.. Toot's pen. was awful yesterday, admittedly the pressure was off for Brad's, but he banged it in no problem.

Whilst I agree that any striker (or attacking midfielder) worth his salt should be demanding the ball when we get a pen, I have to take issue with the poster who reckons Smithy missed as many pens as he scored. As I recall that may have been the case in the last season or so but prior to that he was pretty reliable.

It should also be noted that a string of strikers (Miller, Donaldson, Zola for example) were pretty rubbish at them!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    I have to take issue with the poster who reckons Smithy missed as many pens as he scored. As I recall that may have been the case in the last season or so but prior to that he was pretty reliable.

Whilst I was there that day at Gillingham, I have to agree with AA and commend Smithy's overall record. Very reliable from 15 yds, especially when compared to many more recent incumbents!

Apologies gents, my first full season watching the Alex was in 00/01, and his last season (01/02) is what sticks in my mind. Must of missed about 50% of spot kicks taken from what I remember. Can't be too harsh on Smithy anyway, he did take us up in '97!

Dean Ashton used to get the ball before anyone else could and put it on the spot. Not sure how many he scored and missed though? Also unsure Dario said the players decided on the pitch at the time, rather than a designated pen taker? Just seems sensible that someone who is used to knowing where the goal is should take them but no doubt many will point to a good record of defenders taking them over the years. I used to think if the ball is hit as hard as you could, then even if the GK dived the right way, it was difficult to save but since the rule changed about the GK not moving, some audacious goals have been scored by a second delay when they see which way he starts to move and someone just rolls the ball the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    I used to think if the ball is hit as hard as you could, then even if the GK dived the right way, it was difficult to save ...

And indeed it should.
    But even that method is flawed as Danny Shelley (who was my choice for pen taker long before he took one for that very reason!) found out against Northampton in 2012 when that guy Kitson played a blinder.
    That said, I still maintain blasting it is the best way!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe
    I used to think if the ball is hit as hard as you could, then even if the GK dived the right way, it was difficult to save ...

And indeed it should.
    But even that method is flawed as Danny Shelley (who was my choice for pen taker long before he took one for that very reason!) found out against Northampton in 2012 when that guy Kitson played a blinder.
    That said, I still maintain blasting it is the best way![/quote]

SS, An agreement so early after that course and so must be worth every penny hey? We just need itwasin to go on it now! I won't lend him my notes being that you still need the royalties rolling in!

It's 12 yards surely, we'd miss more if it was 15.

A few observations:

A lot more awarded in the modern game so more misses also, two in the first league game on Saturday, two in a season would be about the going rate in the 70s! (slight exaggeration but not much!)

As pointed out above, Shaun Smith was generally reliable although he did tail off towards the end of his time with Crewe - he also was n't put off by missing the odd one - I think a miss makes players more reluctant to take the next one nowadays.

Understandable that Toots stood down on Saturday though - nobody would want two misses in one match on their CV.

Hopefully Brad can run up a sequence - after all the more you take in a match environment the better you're likely to get - circumstances are nothing like practising them in training - which is not to say you should n't practice - hones technique and induces clarity of thought in terms of where you intend to put them - hopefully Brad scores the next one in the ot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast