+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ben Garratt

ben Garratt

Just wondering why Steve doesn't seem to have any faith in him. Every other young star we have plays week in week out but with ben, arguably one of our brightest talents, Steve is very quick not to play him. Last year he ended up having to pick him due to injuries/ form. Even when he had a patch in the team, he was dropped in favour for the Fulham keeper we had on loan until he was injured. I think last season he has proved he is good enough and the only way he will continue developing is to play week in week out. Especially ahead of 30 years plus keeper, who should be there as experienced back up if bens form drops.

re: ben Garratt

Selection should be made primarily on the basis of performance in competitive first team fixtures - it's patently obvious that this is not the case as far as Ben is concerned.

Baker's comments on Radio Stoke quite telling - initially stated 'it's Steve decision' then some rambling which seemed to give an indication that he was a little nonplussed.

I remember Steve commenting that almost every oppostion manager commenting on Ben's abilities and performances after the games towards the end of last season. He's obviously forgotten that.

I think it was an embarrassing selection personally.

I reckon that he will be in nets for the League Cup game on Tuesday night. I was surprised that our first choice keeper (Garratt) was not chosen today. Listening to the commentary, Shearer made two fine saves during that first half. It looks like it could be a battle between the two of them, as to who gets the nod for the league matches.

For me, Shearer was brought in as a no.2 to Garratt and provide a little competition. Garratt was good enough to start all of those games last season and made maybe 1 or 2 errors. So why the change?

Davis really frustrates me sometimes. Garratt has a promising future and if nurtured correctly could keep our club going for another 3-4 years if/when sold. We don't want to lose him for naff all do we?

Quote Originally Posted by Stealex
    For me, Shearer was brought in as a no.2 to Garratt and provide a little competition. Garratt was good enough to start all of those games last season and made maybe 1 or 2 errors. So why the change?

Davis really frustrates me sometimes. Garratt has a promising future and if nurtured correctly could keep our club going for another 3-4 years if/when sold. We don't want to lose him for naff all do we?
    I think the last paragraph is important as I think that is what they are doing ie nurturing him.
    He is young for a keeper because as we know keepers mature later. He is an excellent keeper but he still needs time to mature.

'Listening to the commentary, Shearer made two fine saves'?

Maybe I was bushed after the long drive, but it didn't seem to me that our GK was wearing any listening apparatus, and it's probabe ly banned by League rules anyway.

Maybe a classic dangling participle is the culprit here?

With regards to the nurturing comment and his age, i think its a poor excuse. He earnt the right for the no1 shirt last year and deserves to start as no1. He will learn a lot more playing. If he does then hit a rut and form drops, then bring in the experienced number two for a couple of months, a little like city fid with Joe hart. Age should not come into it, if you are good enough to play then play them . That is the Crewe way and should be implemented for all positions.

Davis baffles me. Quick to drop Ben despite Ben proving he's more than capable, very happy to play Nolan and Ray despite both of them being shaky at times, such as today.

Sometimes I do question Davis' approach, it defies logic, and if Baker does as well then that's not good reading in honesty!